Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

Exempt pay when taking time off Minnesota

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Exempt pay when taking time off Minnesota

    Hi all,

    I know this is in here somewhere, but couldn't find it...

    We have an exempt employee who took a week off for vacation. Is it true that I don't have to pay him his salary for the week he was gone?

    Thank you!

  • #2
    Yes. Time in full day increments that he takes off voluntarily does not have to be paid.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.


    • #3
      Agreed. The specific regulation is 29 CFR 541.602.
      "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
      Philip K. **** (1928-1982)


      • #4
        Does he have vacation leave? That would be the normal way to continue his pay while out. If he has no vacation left, then you can certainly not pay him for the week.
        I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have.
        Thomas Jefferson


        • #5
          Good point, Morgana. If he has vacation time/other PTO that can be used for a vacation, the time off can be charged to it so he gets paid.
          Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

          Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.


          The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.