Not getting paid to have company vehicle serviced. New Jersey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not getting paid to have company vehicle serviced. New Jersey

I work in the service business and supplied a company van to run service calls. My company has started a new policy that we have to get the oil changed and repairs on our time and not get paid. I would't really care but sometimes it takes 2 to 3 hours. Thanks for your help in advance.

Das ist in der Doktor!

Originally posted by onestubborn View Post
    I work in the service business and supplied a company van to run service calls. My company has started a new policy that we have to get the oil changed and repairs on our time and not get paid. I would't really care but sometimes it takes 2 to 3 hours. Thanks for your help in advance.

Do you take this vehicle home and drive it to and from work?

Comment

Originally posted by drruthless View Post
      Do you take this vehicle home and drive it to and from work?
      Yes, I start my day driving to service calls from home, I do not report to an office. After I complete the last call I drive home. I am not permitted to use the vehicle for anything other than company use.

Comment

Yeah, Right....!!#*%!

Originally posted by onestubborn View Post
        Yes, I start my day driving to service calls from home, I do not report to an office. After I complete the last call I drive home. I am not permitted to use the vehicle for anything other than company use.
        Well how DARE they!
        You get use the company vehicle to haul your @ss to and from work, make a living and they refuse to pay for your time to get it serviced occasionally ?
        Well, tomorrow, you march right into your bosses office and DEMAND to start using your own vehicle to get to and from work and you won't settle for anything less than having to pay for gas, oil and upkeep of your vehicle out of your own pocket! That'll show them not to mess with you huh!?
        I'd better stop now before I start saying things I mean...

..______________
        ~ I deplore stupidity.
        I’m happy to admit to mine,
        and even happier if I can point out yours.
        Last edited by drruthless; 06-17-2012, 11:29 PM.

Comment

Are you free to do as you please while the vehicle is being worked on? Unless you are required to stay there with the vehicle or perform work while the services are being done, you don't have to be paid for that time. Go to a movie. Read a book. Go shopping. Have lunch out. I'm sure you can find a way to incorporate dropping the vehicle off every few months for service into your regular activities.
          I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Originally posted by ElleMD View Post
            Are you free to do as you please while the vehicle is being worked on? Unless you are required to stay there with the vehicle or perform work while the services are being done, you don't have to be paid for that time. Go to a movie. Read a book. Go shopping. Have lunch out. I'm sure you can find a way to incorporate dropping the vehicle off every few months for service into your regular activities.
            The problem is that it is closer to every 2 or 3 weeks and we are limited to only a few service centers that are usually 45 minutes away. I drive 250 - 300 miles a day, 10 -12 hours 6 days a week.

Comment

Originally posted by drruthless View Post
              Well how DARE they!
              You get use the company vehicle to haul your @ss to and from work, make a living and they refuse to pay for your time to get it serviced occasionally ?
              Well, tomorrow, you march right into your bosses office and DEMAND to start using your own vehicle to get to and from work and you won't settle for anything less than having to pay for gas, oil and upkeep of your vehicle out of your own pocket! That'll show them not to mess with you huh!?
              I'd better stop now before I start saying things I mean...

..______________
              ~ I deplore stupidity.
              I’m happy to admit to mine,
              and even happier if I can point out yours.
              Wow! you sure told me! Thanks for your help. DR.Douche.

Comment

That still isn't going to change the answer. They do not have to pay you for the time the vehicle is in the shop having the oil changed, tires rotated or whatever they are doing. As long as that time is free of actual work duties for you, it isn't compensable.
                I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Originally posted by ElleMD View Post
                  That still isn't going to change the answer. They do not have to pay you for the time the vehicle is in the shop having the oil changed, tires rotated or whatever they are doing. As long as that time is free of actual work duties for you, it isn't compensable.
                  Thanks for your help.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                  Working...
                  X