Unemployment benefits and fringe benefits re school employee Michigan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unemployment benefits and fringe benefits re school employee Michigan

I work for a headstart program as an assistant teacher during the school year (am a 10 mos employee). In past years, we did not receive fringe benefits (ie medical insurance) because we collected unemployment benefits. This year, less than a month before school ended, we were notified that we could not collect unemployment insurance (as you can imagine this left us stunned) because they said that there was reasonable assurance we would be called back at the beginning of the school year. Is this legal? If so, shouldn't we have our fringe benefits available thru this unemployment (and no income at all) period?

Part of what you are saying makes no sense. Insurance has absolutely no bearing on whether or not you get unemployment. Only two states require employers to provide insurance and yours in not one of them. They may offer it or not.

There is also no state which covers teachers over the summer on unemployment as a matter of course. There are some circumstances under which a teacher or other seasonal employee may collect benefits but it is case by case and never automatic. If you have reasonable assurance that you will be returning in the fall, you would not be eligible. This is not only legal, but the case in every state.
    I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

It used to be that teachers, bus drivers etc applied for and got unemployment. Recently, this has been looked at and determined that school employees were not eligible since they were expected to return for the next school year.
      That has no bearing whatsoever on eligibility for medical insurance.
      I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have.
      Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I work in HR for a HeadStart program in Colorado. Our 10 month employees have always been eligible for fringe benefits, and during the Summer they collect job-attached unemployment. Even if employees give their notice that they will not be returning for the next school year, they collect through the Summer; we do not contest any of these claims.

My advice would be to apply for UI and see what happens. The worst the state can say is "no", right?
        The opinions and advice I give are strictly from my own experiences and respect that others may feel differently than me. I do sometimes play devil's advocate, but mean it as no offense towards anyone.

Comment

No offense Daisy but if you are letting those who voluntarily leave employment to colect UI unchallenged, you should really rethink that as your experience rating is going to suffer greatly.

Michigan law specifically exempts those who work for schools and are reasonably assured to return in the fall. you can always apply but I would not hold my breath.
          I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
          Working...
          X