IL- Possible Hostile Working Environment Illinois

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IL- Possible Hostile Working Environment Illinois

I work for a physician in a small office.

He is an extremely volatile and has the office staff on edge. I know that his swearing, slamming his fists on desks and throwing things around the office, do not really constitute a hostile working environment, I believe other things he says/does may.

On multiple occasions he has used racial slurs and made inappropriate racial jokes about patients in front of the staff. Around St. Patrick's Day he was referring to it as a "mick" holiday, even after I mentioned to him that there are people of Irish descent in the office and he just laughed.

He makes Polish jokes at his Medical Assistant who is Polish and while she has said that isn't funny he continues to make them. I've told her she needs to put her foot down with him but he she said there is no point, he will keep doing it.
    He also took an opportunity to question what my religious beliefs were and I when I told him I wasn't sure and before I could tell him I didn't want to discuss it, he called me a heathen.

He also has been very belittling and calling the staff including myself f-ing incompetent, stupid, useless ect

There isn't an office manager or any one else to report him to. I want to quit because things are only getting worse but I don't want to be denied unemployment because I quit but I really am uncomfortable working for someone who makes comments like he does and uses language that is just not professional. Is there a chance I would qualify for unemployment?

How small is your "small office"? Federal anti-discrimination law only applies to employers with more than 15 employees, as does Illinois's equivalent law.
    I am not able to respond to private messages. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Marketeer View Post
      How small is your "small office"? Federal anti-discrimination law only applies to employers with more than 15 employees, as does Illinois's equivalent law.
      We only have 5 employees.

So basically if I quit I am probably not going to to get UI because the office doesn't qualify?

Comment

No, unemployment and the EEOC are entirely different and their rules are not dependent on one another.

However, I certainly can't guarantee that if you quit you WILL get unemployment. I can only tell you that if you do not, it will not be because the office is too small to qualify under discrimination laws.
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

The reason Marketeer asked you about the # of employees was because employees can't file a discrimination/harassment complaint with the EEOC or state (Il.) equivalent unless your employer has 15 or more employees. It had nothing to do with unemployment ins.
          Last edited by Betty3; 04-09-2012, 07:44 AM.
          Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Thanks, Betty - yours was a better explanation than mine. Not enough coffee this morning, I guess.
            The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Das ist in der Doktor!

How long has he been practicing?
              Is his behavior pretty consistent or is this something relatively something new?
              This could be his way with dealing with the stress of the job,
              as inappropriate as it may be,
              or he could be dipping into the drug cabinet.
              I'd start doing an inventory just to be sure.
              He wouldn't be the first Doctor to have developed a drug habit,
              or start thinking he can walk on water.
              Both are treatable conditions,
              but unfortunately Doctors tend to make the worst patients.
              Maybe you could find another Dr. to speak with him,
              or start looking for somewhere else to work, he's not likely to change on his own.
              Good Luck.
              ..______________
              ~ Those who cannot hear an angry shout,
              may strain to hear a whisper. ~ Spock

Comment

OP, your best bet "might" be just to look for other employment while working this job. If you quit, as cbg noted, we can't guarantee you will receive UI.

Good luck to you.
                Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

The problem with quitting and applying for unemployment is that all of your co-workers will clam up and no one will back you up on your claim of abuse. They're too afraid of losing their lousy jobs. Then it's your word against his, and unless he mouths off to them, you likely won't be believed. I agree with the others, start looking for something else.
                  I am not an attorney, and don't play one on TV. Any information given is a description only and should be verified by your attorney.

Comment

I am looking for something. I've been looking for about a month now and I just got my new resume back from my resume writer.

I was hoping there was a way I would be able to quit and not stress about this job any more but then not be stressing about paying my bills either.

And I doubt my co-workers would back me up. I unless I recorded some of the conversations that take place when he is not in the office. They both wouldn't chance their jobs yet as I know one is looking and the other doesn't get the abuse that myself and the other girl gets and her husband is waiting for a transfer to go through so she is biding her time until that happens.

Thanks for your input!

Comment

Unemployment wouldn't pay you as much as you are making now. So if bill paying is a big concern it is best to continue working while looking.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                      Working...
                      X