Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Betty3
    replied
    You're welcome for the replies - good luck to you.

Leave a comment:

• denibeans63
    replied
    Originally posted by Betty3 View Post
    After re-reading thread, I took it that she might also be in NY but just moving to a different city in NY. It seems that might be true per a previous thread.
    yes betty! i currently live in NY and am moving to central NY. Glad to hear we are a "trailing spouse" state. (that sounds horrible!) . Hopefully i wont even have to collect and will get a job lined up before i go, but it's nice to know it's there if i need it.

Thanks for the replies. And yes, i have posted previously. After refusing to move to nebraska and sticking it out, at least he is moving "in" state!

Leave a comment:

• Betty3
    replied
    After re-reading thread, I took it that she might also be in NY but just moving to a different city in NY. It seems that might be true per a previous thread.

Leave a comment:

• cbg
    replied
    I read it that she was in NY, and was moving to a different city that was also in NY. But you're right; if she's in a different state and is moving TO NY, then the other state's rules would reign.

Leave a comment:

• Betty3
    replied
    cbg, wouldn't the UI law of the state where OP is currently working apply & not NY where she will have done no work? Wouldn't she apply in her current state?

NY is a trailing spouse state.

PS -OP, do you currently live/work in NY but are moving to a different city in NY? As stated above, NY is a trailing spouse state. (Per a prior thread, it seems you may currently be in NY - apply for UI when the time comes. The state makes the final decision whether you qualify or not.)
    Last edited by Betty3; 02-28-2012, 01:36 PM. Reason: add PS

Leave a comment:

• Betty3
    replied
    What state do you currently work in?

Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• cbg
    replied
    There are a few other states besides CA but I don't know if NY is one of them. Unlike many UI situations, however, this one is pretty black and white; either "trailing spouses" are eligible to quit and receive benefits or they are not. It won't be up to your employer.

Leave a comment:

• Beth3
    replied
    California is the only State I know for certain that grants UC benefits to trailing spouses. You certainly should apply when the time comes - you have nothing to lose by doing so.

or will it be up to my current employer? No. Each State decides who is eligible for unemployment benefits under their State's relevant statutes, not employers.
    Last edited by Beth3; 02-28-2012, 11:49 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Eligible for unemployment qutting b/c we are moving? New York

I know that in most circumstances, if a person quits a job they are not eligible for unemployment. But my question is will i be eligible if i have to quit becuase my husband has a new job and we are moving? I have worked for the same place for 12 years. Husband got a new job and has already moved to another city in NY state. I will join after we sell the house- we think all together that will be about 6 months or so. I have told my employer that this will eventually happen and we are all working together to make sure this is as smooth a transition as possible. The job prospects in the new town are VERY gloomy - I have been looking already. What are my options ? I suppose i can apply for UEI but whether I am eligible is a diffferent story? or will it be up to my current employer? I seem to remeber hearing somewhere they I can be eligible if as a spouse i am forced to move b/c of relocation? Pls advise. Thanks!
The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
Working...
X