Non-exempt Forced Time Off California

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-exempt Forced Time Off California

Basically what's occurred is this past weekend my employer put up signs around our store stating we'd be closed for Chinese New Year (22nd-26th). We're all hourly, at-will employees, so 5 days of no work is a lot for any of us. The main thing that's bothersome is having so little notice.

Other thing worth mentioning is that the Equalization Board approached us last month in regards to charging sales tax on food/beverages consumed in-store. They found that we weren't charging for this and told us to begin doing so. My employer initially told us not to use the 'for here' setting on the POS computer which would leave a record of whether or not someone had purchased their food/drinks with the intention of consuming them on premises. This quickly resulted in too much confusion and mistakes so we (employees) decided to go back to using what worked. No one has been bothered about it, but is this a reportable offense?

Yes, your employer can close for 5 days with little (or no) notice (unless you have a binding employment contract to the contrary)

If sales tax is required to be charged, then it should be charged.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Thank you very much

Comment

You're welcome.
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

If the 5 days forced time off will cause you to earn less than you'd get on unemployment, go file a claim. Seeing as how two weeks have passed, you my be SOL, but some states (like AZ) will backdate a claim provided you say, "I tried calling week after week, but your phone line queues were full and it would cut me off without letting me wait on hold."

It will establish a base year and cover your waiting week. If you're employer pulls this stun again, it'll cost them because you'll be able to reopen your claim and collect.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
          Working...
          X