Non compete agreement Idaho

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non compete agreement Idaho

My father in law has been working for the same individual/company in Idaho for about 30 years and essentially runs the company but the owner keeps most of the money. I have tried to convince him that he should start his own company doing the same work so he could be the one making the money but he says he signed a non-compete agreement when he first started working for the company. My question is how long is a non-compete agreement good for in Idaho? If my father in law left his current company and started his own company, could his current employer take any legal action against him?

This is what Idaho says re noncompetes:
    A written agreement or covenant that protects the employer's legitimate business interests and prohibits key employees or key independent contractors from engaging in employment in line of business that is in direct competition with employer's business is enforceable if reasonable as to duration, geographical area, type of employment/line of business, and does not impose a greater restraint than reasonably necessary to protect the employer's legitimate business interests. Under no circumstances shall the agreement establish a post-employment restriction exceeding 18 months. Certain terms will be presumed reasonable, subject to rebuttal by the covered employee. If such an agreement is found to be unreasonable in any respect, a court shall limit or modify the agreement as it deems necessary to reflect the intent of the parties and render it reasonable in light of the circumstances in which it was made. The court shall than enforce the agreement as limited or modified.

However, a noncompete should always be taken to an employment or contract attorney in the area for review & advice.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
    Working...
    X