Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

Can employer deduct errors from paycheck? Michigan

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Can employer deduct errors from paycheck? Michigan

    Cake Decorating Job. Can an employer deduct the cost from your paycheck if you've made an error in decoration on a cake - if the employer/owner decides to credit, refund or replace the cake?

  • #2
    If we are talking about federal law only (FLSA), then this is a "for the benefit of the employer" deduction that cannot impact minimum wage or overtime, but would otherwise be legal.

    Your state is not my state, and I have no opinion on MI state law (if any) on this subject.
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
    Philip K. **** (1928-1982)


    • #3
      Michigan - Except for overpayment of wages or benefits, deductions for the benefit of the employer require written consent from an employee for each wage payment subject to the deduction. Except for deductions required or expressly permitted by law or by
      a collective bargaining agreement, employers may not deduct any amount for such
      things as union dues, charitable contributions, credit union deposits, etc., without
      written consent.
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

      Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.


      The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.