This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non compete in Michigan

I was given several contracts to sign during my employment with my former employer. I believe the last contract is the one that is enforceable. That contract does not allow me to work for another company of this type for 2 years or within 50 miles from their territory (which is very large and covers about 1/4 of my state). Basically, my profession is very specific to this trade and this non compete is so broad it does not allow me to gain other employment in my profession. I would have to look for a job more than 2 hours from my home to work anytime in the next two years.

My question is, how enforceable is a contract like this, and what's the worst that could happen?

I am considering starting my own company in the same field, but don't want to spend all this start up money and the get sued. I don't know if it matters but I do not live in their territory, and I would not run my business in their territory but would likely receive work in it.

I do not have any trade secrets or anything like that. I did take some classes during my employment, but they were nationally accredited classes, not from my employer (employer did pay for it).

Re noncompetes - Mi. enforces a rule of reasonableness with respect to
    duration, geography, and type of employment or line of business.

You'll need to have an employment or contract attorney in your area review
    the noncompete for his/her advice & opinion. An attorney in your area should
    know what the courts in your area consider reasonable.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
    Working...
    X