This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• not getting breaks in ohio Ohio

I work 12 hour shifts in a factory. My employer allows four 15 minute breaks and one 30 minute lunch break. All breaks are paid. My problem is that they tell us NOT to skip our breaks, but they will not allow me to leave my machine unattended to go on my breaks, thus I need someone to else to be at my machine when I leave. The problem is that they do not provide me that coverage at my machine so I can walk away to take my breaks. I have been round and round with my employer about this for over a year with no resolution to the problem. Most everyone else in this plant gets to take all of their breaks. Where do I stand? Do I have any rights to get these breaks like everyone else?

Ohio does not require rest and/or meal breaks for adults except for some
    railroad workers.

This is probably legal as long a you aren't being discriminated against (treated
    differently) due to a reason prohibited by law (ie age, religion, gender...).

Who have you talked to about allowing you to take your breaks? Are you
    in a union? Do you have any type of contract re rest/meal breaks?
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

I'm not in a union. I have talked to my foremen (have been under 3 different foremen on last year and a half), my production manager, and my plant manager. The plant manager tells my he does not want me missing any of my breaks and it is the foremans job to make sure I get them. I as well as the foreman have explained to him that the foreman do not have time to relieve me and others for their breaks because they already have a heavy workload due to understaffing. Plant manager just says, the foreman MUST do it. So, o don't get my breaks. I have taken my breaks myself and left my machine unattended and have gotten in trouble for doing so. About 90 - 95% of the rest of the production employees get to take all their breaks because the6 are allowed to leave their machines unattended. There is no contract that I know of. I feel that those of us who run my machine and others who run similar machines are being singled out and descriminated against. It is unfair that we are told to take breaks and then get on trouble for taking them because noone will relieve us to walk away from our machines.

Comment

I agree that this shows very poor management skills, but it is not illegal.

As an aside, when I was in college, I worked as a floater in a large department store. I did nothing but go from department to department, breaking regular employees for their breaks and meals.
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Isn't there anything I can do to argue my case to human resources? Unfair compared to other employees?

Comment

Of course you can argue that it's unfair. The problem is that unfair is not illegal.

If you are looking for a law you can invoke that will force them to give you the breaks, there isn't one. That doesn't mean you can't plead your case; just that the law will not force HR or your supervisor or anyone else to give you the answer you want.
            The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Agree, nothing illegal is being done here (based on what you posted) unfair as it
              might be. Sorry.
              Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
              Working...
              X