This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Work more hours and get paid less

I feel like I was tricked. I started working full-time in Sept 2010, and just found out (I went from hourly to salary) that my pay was cut 23.11%. When I wanted to know why I was told that because I only pay 25% of my health insurance costs, and my employer pays the other 75%, they cut my pay rate to adjust the ammount they put out to cover their portion of my insurance. Because I was put from hourly to salary, I had absolutely no idea I my pay rate jumped -23.11%. Can they do this? Or is it one of those situations where it is legal just unethical?

What is the name of your state, please. (Where you work)
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Pennsylvania

Comment

Also, "salary" is just a payment method that does not mean much by itself. What are your actual job duties? And your industry? Were you being paid overtime when you were hourly? And are you still being paid overtime now that you are salaried?
        "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
        Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

Did you "find out" about the decrease before or after you worked the hours at the new rate?
          I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

I am a preschool teacher. I have been with the company for almost 5 yras before I was offered fulltime. I was at an hourly rate of 13.13 (never could get over time because I would be scheduled not to have any, and would not be permitted to work over my 70 hrs per the biweekly pay period). I hadent had medical benefits for almst 3 years, so when I was offered full time (some exact job description just an extra hour a day). I have been working since Sept. with a 23.11% cut that I did not know about. When I asked what happened my employer told me that my rate was lowered because now that I am full time they are putting out a % of my medical insurance too, and to cover what they are putting out they reduced my pay.

Comment

Also, No I cannot get overtime now that I am full time either. I am scheduled from 9-5 and work that everyweek, I cannot pick up extra hours. Even if I attend a meeting or workshop (mandatory) I do not get paid OT because the supervisor schedules a 1/2 hr lunch break for ua, and since we're only working 7.5 hours a day that we do not get paid extra for any meetings/tranings or workshops

Comment

I am not sure how you didn't notice the change from September until now. Nevertheless, PA DOL website says:

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...=563209&mode=2

Can My Employer Change My Rate of Pay?
                Yes, as long as you are given prior notice of the change the payday before the time the change takes effect and the rate of pay does not fall below the minimum wage. For example, if your normal payday (the day you are paid your wages) is on the 15th of the month, your employer could give you written notice of a change in your rate of pay any day before the 15 th . All work done by you for this employer after the 15th would then be at the new rate.

What Kind of Information is My Employer Supposed to Put on My Pay Stub?
                Your employer must give you a pay-stub each pay period which explains how long you worked, how much money you earned and how much money you were paid. The stub must include the number of hours you actually worked; your rate of pay; your gross wages; your deductions for taxes; and other deductions you have authorized your employer to make. The pay-stub also has to state the beginning and ending dates of the pay period.

Comment

what if only my hourse worked and my salary were on their? My rate of pay is not on my checks since I became full time. I have direct deposit and our company switched payroll companies between me going full time and now.

Comment

Originally posted by rosieg123 View Post
                    what if only my hourse worked and my salary were on their?
                    You're a teacher? Sheesh...

Comment

Originally posted by Texas709 View Post
                      You're a teacher? Sheesh...
                      Preschool. (though we all sometimes make spelling errors typing too fast or what
                      not)
                      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Yeah, but their/there is not a spelling error but a grammatical error usually committed by people who don't seem to understand the difference. It's not like fingers just hit "ir" instead of "re."

Comment

Yes, but sometimes when a person is typing, the person's mind can just type
                          their for there even though he/she knows it is wrong. Maybe a teacher should
                          proof read though & it would have been realized. I didn't see it as a big deal.
                          (Of course, I don't have a child going to that preschool.)

Comment

I suppose I deserve that for typing while at a red light, and not proof reading..
                            My pay stub only has gross pay and take home, no set hourly rate.
                            Also, even though my hours are on the stub, my boss has told me that no matter if thet say 70 or 80 hours, the take home pay is the same.

P.s. To be a preschool teacher, you only have to be smarter that a 5 year old! COMPLETELY KIDDING! I do know the difference between there and their

Comment

Not sure why you couldn't divide your gross by your hours worked.
                              I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                              Working...
                              X