This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving Expense Delaware

I have recenlty moved to the area for work, and my company paid a certain amount of money to get me moved. In my offer letter, it states that if I don't complete 12 months of employment then I will be required to pay back a pro-rated amount based upon how long I have been with the company. I receveid a 30-day action plan, which in my business that means you have 30 days left at work (the action plans are unrealistic). Since I will be terminated am I responsible for paying back that money? If so, can they deduct that from my final paycheck?

Unless the agreement contained an exception for involuntary termination, probably. Only an attorney who has reviewed the document in its entirety could give you a reliable opinion.

Did the agreement state HOW such pro-rated reimbursement was to be paid?
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

I agree with talking to an attorney in your area. Take your offer letter & get the
      attorney's opinion as to whether it rises to the level of a legally binding employment
      contract & whether you would have to pay back the money & how.
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Thank you

Thanks for your responses. There is nothing outlined about a repayment process, just that it would be pro-rated. There is one catch though....the company that hired me is no longer involved with this organization. The owners fired the management company and this organization is now managed by the owners, so my offer letter/moving expenses came from another company, so it should be null and void right??

Comment

Maybe, but not definitely. It depends on the exact wording of the letter and the terms of the sale. You'll still need to show it to an attorney.
          The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
          Working...
          X