This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can my boss really refuse me overtime? Texas

I am the only employee, being the delivery driver, the billing, the intake, everything. My boss works in another location, but now they are telling me that I can no longer work overtime. But honestly, to get everything done, I have to. Is that legal for them to refuse me overtime?

It looks like you have a choice:
    1. Keep working extra hours to get things done, and get fired for disobeying a clear directive about no more overtime.

2. Leave on time, but when things don't get done, get fired for poor performance.

If you are concerned about getting unemployment, then you'd have a better chance if you go with #2.

But you might also consider #3: Figure out how to work more quickly and efficiently and get everything done in the time allotted.

Comment

Of course they can.

Have you presented something in writing showing how much time it takes you to complete all your tasks and ask them which is most important to them vs. which should be left uncompleted if it would take more than 40 hours per week to complete them all?
      I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Under NO law, anywhere in the US, is an employer required to allow an employee to work overtime.

While if an employee works unauthorized overtime he must be paid for it, he can also be disciplined up to and including termination for working unauthorized. The employer, not the employee, sets the work schedule.

While the law provides that you must be paid for overtime if it is worked, it does not provide that you must be allowed to work it.
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Have you talked to your boss (or presented them something in writing as suggested
          by Patty) regarding needing more time than 40 hrs. a wk. to get all your work done?

If so, what did they say?
          Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Thank you everyone for your replies.

Comment

You're welcome. Good luck to you.
              Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
              Working...
              X