This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unethical Boss California

I am unfortunately in a situation where I am forced to work with someone extremely unethical. He is the owner of the company so I really don't have anyone else within the company to report him to.

First, he employed a number of employees full time as "independent contractors" even though they worked out of his office. He did this to avoid paying payroll taxes.

Second, when he did switch to payroll (because a disgruntled employee threatened to report him), he didn't get workman's comp. It wasn't until someone in the office was hurt, that he got WC.

Third, he regularly hires people who are illegal to work for him. Not too long ago, he hired a girl w/out a social security number. He said she was 17 although I don't believe it. She looked much younger.

Fourth, the office is filthy and cluttered. There isn't a clear path to walk most of the time. It is a major hazard. I took pictures. Paint has sat in the bathroom for months. The office is so cluttered, something spilled (pain thinner or some sort of toxic chemical with overwhelming odor) and because of the clutter, the spill couldn't be located and the toxic fumes lingered for days.

I don't have time to list every thing of an unethical nature that I have witnessed n the time I've worked there. But those are the big no-no's that I can recall off the top of my head. I'm wondering who I would report each case to. My boss has a history of not paying people who quit. I am diligently looking for work elsewhere and I expect it will get ugly when I do leave.
    Last edited by LoneHiker; 06-11-2010, 03:35 PM.

You dont have to get a raise. Legally, as long as you get minimum wage and any legally required OT, thats all that is required.
    I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have.
    Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Agree. There are no laws that mandate raises (except for minimum-wage earners when the minimum wage goes up).

Comment

Agree, raises are not guaranteed except for min. wage earners when min. wage goes up or unless you have a binding employment contract guaranteeing then.
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
        Working...
        X