Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can employer increase responsibilities & reduce hours for hourly staff New York

the agency i work for has been at a 20% reduction for about 9 months/ i know as a salaried employee, i am still expected to put in more than my "paid" 32 hours - whatever it takes to get the job done - it stinks but that is thte way it is..Problem is employer now wants me to ask my one of my hourly staff, who has already been given one change in job duties to pick up some slack, to take on additional responsibilitites that are somewhat supervisory in nature (pertaining to supervision of files and paperwork) . I don't even feel comforatble asking her to do this. All my hourly staff already work more hours than they are noting on their time sheets (I don't ask, they don't tell, and I tell them not to, btu there is too much work to do in 32 hours and they feel theri jobs are on the line, as do we all- and I also know that is a labor lawsuit waiting to happen),

For an hourly employee, only making $ 10.00 per hour (before the cut) , to take on increased responsibility while already on a 20% cut back - is this legal? I know it is not fair, but is it legal? we are all concerend that because of the shortened period of work hours, our ability to do our work has suffered and we have seen this in recent audits. I know this employee will have concerns about her responsibility in taking on more duties and resposnibilities and being accountable while on shortened hours - not to mention less pay

please advise. Thank you

It's legal because there is no law prohibiting it.

And I agree that this is a law suit waiting to happen.

IMHO, if an employer can't "afford" to comply with the law for the employees he has, maybe he shouldn't have as many employees as he does. Just my $.02.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

thanks patty: now, if I am "forced" to terminate my employees becuase they can't do their jobs (even though I honestly don't think they have enough time to do them)...will they be entitled to unemployment? I can only hope my employer will not fight the claim.....awkward...thanks

Comment

Probably but only the state UI office can say for sure.
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
        Working...
        X