X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Verifying Sub-Contractors are complying with I-9 laws Pennsylvania

Hello,

First off, I apologize for the lengthy email, but I wanted to explain my thoughts in detail.

I am a fairly new employee to a large building management company. I have some questions and concerns regarding how my particular company verifies our sub-contractors follow applicable work authorization laws. I am also looking for alternative solutions.

My company currently has over 20,000 sub-contractors that we actively procure services from. We require our sub-contractors to sign an agreement that explains they must follow all applicable work authorization laws (I-9 verification). We also have them sign-off on a seperate document that certifies they understand all of the federal I-9 laws and if they have ever been subject to violation to those laws. On top of that, we require our sub-contractors to provide a list of their employees with a copy of their I-9 form.

As you can imagine, this creates a large amount of paperwork, and my organization is not particularly good at organization. In many cases, our sub-contractor's I-9 forms are misplaced and also can be sitting on a printer or inbox (out in the open).

I am looking for suggestions to eliminate the amount of paperwork for our company, but also protecting the company's interests in making sure our sub-contractors are compliant with work authorization laws.

Any and all feedback is appreciated.
    Thank you,
    pennstateproud

I'm a little confused.

You contract with agencies who supply employees (of the agency) who perform work for you?

You are requiring a copy of the I-9 that the agency is required to procure? And you require the agency to give a copy to the employee (don't know why that's necessary).

Bottom line, the employer (the one that pays the worker) is responsible for complying with I-9 regulations. I'm assuming your contract with the agency states this. Having said that, I know that a large national firm who did the same was cited by the feds for I-9 violations because such workers had not been verified regarding their eligibility; don't know what ever became of that-I know the company was disputing that they should be a party.

Have you checked with other firms who have workers in this situaition to see what they do? Also, you sound big enough that you should have either in-house counsel or an outside employment attorney available. I would definitely want legal counsel to chime in on this to confirm the extent of your responsibility.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

My company provides building maintenance to retail, governmental, & educational clients. So we sub-contract a lot of janitorial, repair, landscaping, etc.. services out to local companies.

To protect our companies interests and those of our clients, we want to ensure these sub-contractors follow the correct federal work authorization procedures. These are not employees of my company.

Considering that we have a clause in our contractor agreement and a seperate document certifying their knowledge of all applicable ICE & work authorization laws, I feel collecting and storing our sub-contractor's I-9 forms is a bit much.

So I wanted to collect feedback and see if there were other alternatives to ensuring our sub-contractors are following the law and to mitigate any liability my company would have if there was a violation.

Thank you for the reply.

Comment

OK, then my bottom line suggestion still applies.

I do agree that requiring the contractor company supplies you with all those I-9s is probably overkill.
        Pattymd
        Last edited by Pattymd; 04-15-2010, 05:42 PM.
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
        Working...
        X