This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UI - Voluntarily Quitting with "good cause"

I live in New York and NY has a clause that says you would be eligible for unemployment insurance if you quit for "good cause". Would the fact that my lease is up and I can no longer afford to live in NYC be good enough cause? Seriously, I am about to be homeless. My mother is also very ill - so I would move to Albany to help her, and still be willing and able to work - but in Albany.

What are your thoughts surrounding this, and do you feel I could qualify for UI ? Thanks!

Probably not. Although both are very good reasons, neither is attributable to your employer.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Per the N Y UI Law -
      You may be eligible for benefits if:
      You lost your job due to lack of work: the temporary or seasonal employment ended; your job was eliminated; there was an involuntary reduction in force; the company downsized or shutdown; the company restructured or reorganized, there was a lack of company operating funds/orders; or for any other business operating reason which resulted in your involuntary unemployment.
      You were discharged or fired because you were unable to meet employer performance or production standards, or you were unable to meet employer's qualifications for the job.

You may be denied benefits if:
      You were fired because your employer alleged that you violated a company policy, rule or procedure, such as absenteeism or insubordination; because of a disagreement or dispute with a boss or co-worker; or you were fired for any other reason.
      You quit your job.
      You are unemployed because of a work stoppage in the last 49 days which was conducted in violation of an existing collective bargaining agreement in the establishment in which you were employed. It is not necessary that you are actually participating in the strike, but only that you are not working because of the strike in the facility in which you worked.

It's doubtful you would receive UI if you quit for the reasons you listed.
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
      Working...
      X