This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colorado Withholding Wages

I quit a job recently and my check was supposed to be sent by mail last week, when everyone else got their check. Now they're saying because I haven't given them back a hard hat, they won't release my check. Can they do this in Colorado?

No, you can file a claim for unpaid wages with the state Dept. of Labor.

But why don't you just return the hat? You'll get your check a LOT more quickly than if you wait for the state to get around to your claim.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Pattymd View Post
      But why don't you just return the hat? You'll get your check a LOT more quickly than if you wait for the state to get around to your claim.
      x2...just give back the hard hat.
      Not everything in America is actionable in a court of law. Please remember that attorneys are in business for profit, and they get paid regardless of whether or not you win or lose.

I offer my knowledge and experience at no charge, I admit that I am NOT infallible, I am wrong sometimes, hopefully another responder will correct me if that is the case with the answer above, regardless, it is your responsibility to verify any and all information provided.

Comment

Well, the shop is quite far away. I called the labor board and they said they can't hold it. They can subtract the cost of it from my check. I guess I'll just mail it back to them.

Comment

Didn't I already tell you they couldn't hold your check? They can subtract the cost of it IF you agreed to such a deduction when you got the hat. Don't know why you didn't return it when you quit.
          Pattymd
          Last edited by Pattymd; 03-19-2010, 03:55 AM.
          I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Didn't I already tell you they couldn't hold your check? They can subtract the cost of it IF you agreed to such a deduction when you got the hat. Don't know why you didn't return it when you quit.
            No need to patronize me. I may wear a hard hat but I'm not an idiot. I didn't know they wanted it back, so I didn't return it when I left. Noone asked for it either. I saw what you said, and I called the labor board to see if I needed to file a complaint, and they confirmed what you had said about holding it. They said they would do something about it if I wanted, but I decided it's not worth waiting. I figure I'll just mail it back to them, like I pointed out before, since the shop is very far away. It's not worth it if they deduct anything and then having another issue to deal with.

Comment

I'm sorry if you felt I was patronizing, that was not my intent. However, you asked for advice and you got the right advice nearly immediately from this forum.

Comment

I'm sorry if you felt I was patronizing, that was not my intent. However, you asked for advice and you got the right advice nearly immediately from this forum.
                Not a problem. I appreciate this forum and this is the first place I come to for information.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                Working...
                X