Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

Required overtime - CA misclassification from exempt to nonexempt California

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Required overtime - CA misclassification from exempt to nonexempt California

    First, my apologies if this question has been asked before.
    I've searched the board and perhaps I'm not looking for the right terminology.

    I work in our CA office with headquarters out of state.
    Several years went by since my employment when I brought to our HR's attention that they have misclassified me as exempt when I should have been nonexempt.
    After HR went through their investigation, they made me nonexempt and paid the overtime that was due.

    Here's the problem.
    My employer decided to lower my base pay assuming that I would be made "whole" if I still work the same amount of overtime that I did as a misclassified exempt staff.
    Is this allowed?

    Thanks in advance.

  • #2
    The employer cannot modify your rate of pay for the past, but they can on a going-forward basis. Their reason for modifying it is not important.
    Please post questions on the forum rather than sending me a private message or email. That way others who have similar issues have access to the discussion.


    • #3
      Agree as long as you are paid your state's minimum wage.
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

      Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.


      The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.