This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• California exempt minimum/maximum work hours California

I work as the HR manager of a small company and am trying to get our company a lot more on-track with regards to complying with labor laws.

With the economy as it is, we have been reducing our workforce and combining jobs for two years. So four people,with some minor support of part-time, hourly employees, are doing the amount of work that seven used to do. I'm trying to figure out if the law stipulates that there is a maximum number of hours an exempt employee can be required to work per day, week or payperiod. Likewise, I want to understand, for the purposes of tracking vacation/sick time, if the standard 8-hour workday and 40-hour workweek apply to exempt employees.

For example, I'm trying to answer the question: If an exempt employee works (4) 11-hour days and then wants to carve out a 3-day weekend for himself, should that employee be required to use a vacation day for the fifth workday that week?

Exempt employees are paid for getting the job done as opposed to for the amount of hours they work. But what prevents an employer from continuing to add more and more responsibilities into that job description so an employee can never really finish his work and therefore be done for the day?

What provisions are there in the law for ensuring that exempt employees are not exploited in this way?
    Thanks!

There is no minimum and no maximum, generally speaking, for exempt employees.

Regarding your "carve out" question, you can certainly do that if you like, because no law prohibits it. Having said that, if an exempt employee goes REALLY beyond the call of duty, IMHO I wouldn't charge him for a vacation day. The problem is that if you tie it TOO closely to hours worked, then you run the risk of exempt employees being clock-watchers and expecting such treatment.

The "what prevents" question? Nothing in the law prevents it. Again, though, human beings can only take so much and if you expect exempt employees to work 12 hour days, 7 days a week, for weeks or months on end, they're going to go find other employment. Maybe not tomorrow, but eventually.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by B973V View Post

For example, I'm trying to answer the question: If an exempt employee works (4) 11-hour days and then wants to carve out a 3-day weekend for himself, should that employee be required to use a vacation day for the fifth workday that week?
      This doesn't address the legalities, but this is my experience: My long-ago employer had a rule that we could only have a 3-day weekend once every 4 or 6 weeks (I forget which). The people who worked 5 8's never complained about our 3-day weekends.
      Don't feed the trolls.

Comment

Henbob, off topic but I like your "location."
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Originally posted by Betty3 View Post
          Henbob, off topic but I like your "location."
          Thank you, Betty! I'm a right-brained poster on a left-brained board!

I like your signature as well!
          Don't feed the trolls.

Comment

Originally posted by Henbob View Post
            I like your signature as well!
            Thanks, Betty3
            Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Thanks everyone!

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
              Working...
              X