This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bathroom use in New Jersey

We are told by our supervisor that too much toilet paper is being used therefore we are to now to supply our own toilet paper during work hours. Is this legal?

Thank you in advance,

Yes. The law requires employers to provide reasonable access to restroom facilities but no laws require the employer to provide toilet paper or any other bathroom "accessories" - soap, paper towels, etc.

Your employer's decision is so peculiar (unheard of, in fact) it makes me think that some of your co-workers have been stealing loads of the stuff. This could be one of those situations where the bad acts of a few result in misery for everyone. I imagine there would have to be quite a spike in the dollars spent on toilet paper for this to be noticed by management.

Comment

If someone is stealing it, I am unaware. Is there anything that we can do. I have never heard of employees supplying their own toilet paper for work.

Comment

Originally posted by bebita View Post
        If someone is stealing it, I am unaware. Is there anything that we can do. I have never heard of employees supplying their own toilet paper for work.

No, because your employer is doing nothing illegal.

Comment

Thank you very much for your reply

Comment

Strange/unusual but not illegal.
            Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Originally posted by bebita View Post
              Neither have I but TP being stolen is the only reason I can think of as to why costs have gotten so substantial that this is a problem for your employer.

Comment

Maybe they want to "TP" the boss's house.
                Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

This has got to be a candidate for the best of Labor Law Talk!

I agree with Betty3, strange but not illegal. I once caught employees opening a window from the bathroom and pushing rolls of TP out to the parking lot where a friend was waiting to put it in their car. Oh my!

We just started locking up the rolls.

I would perhaps suggest to your employer a tp fund where people pool a little money together with the company, as this new method has got to be a morale killer.
                  Not everything in America is actionable in a court of law. Please remember that attorneys are in business for profit, and they get paid regardless of whether or not you win or lose.

I offer my knowledge and experience at no charge, I admit that I am NOT infallible, I am wrong sometimes, hopefully another responder will correct me if that is the case with the answer above, regardless, it is your responsibility to verify any and all information provided.

Comment

We had a sears catalog in the two holer.

Comment

Originally posted by GotSmart View Post
                      We had a sears catalog in the two holer.
                      Someone just dated themselves a bit!
                      Not everything in America is actionable in a court of law. Please remember that attorneys are in business for profit, and they get paid regardless of whether or not you win or lose.

I offer my knowledge and experience at no charge, I admit that I am NOT infallible, I am wrong sometimes, hopefully another responder will correct me if that is the case with the answer above, regardless, it is your responsibility to verify any and all information provided.

Comment

Just in time for Valentines Day! WOO HOO!

Comment

This has got to be a candidate for the best of Labor Law Talk!

Definitely makes the top five, I would say!
                          The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Originally posted by GotSmart View Post
                            Just in time for Valentines Day! WOO HOO!

I'm a killjoy - I don't do Valentine's Day.

At all

Comment

Originally posted by Dogmatique View Post
                              I'm a killjoy - I don't do Valentine's Day.

At all
                              Happy Valentine's Day, tomorrow, Dogmatique.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                              Working...
                              X