X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time for last paycheck?

Hello!
    I am in Louisiana, but have been working for a company based out of the state of Maryland. I was laid off 2 weeks ago and wasn't given a final check. i was supposed to get it tomorrow morning (Friday) direct deposit. At 11pm tonight, I get an email from our HR director that they won't make payroll until at some point next week.

My question is isn't there a time limit that laid off employees are supposed to receive their final check? It seems I remember it was suposed to be 48 or 72 hours. If this is the case, how does one go about filing a labor violation complaint against an employer?

Thanks!
    Bruce

La. law would apply if you have been working in La.

Final Paycheck
    Louisiana employees who are laid off, fired, or who quit must be paid their wages in full at the next regular payday, not to exceed 15 days from the date of their discharge or termination. Wages include vacation time earned by the employee. An employee should send a written demand for payment of their final wages to their employer. After receipt of a written demand, the employer must pay all wages owed to the employee on a timely basis or be subject to a penalty that may be imposed by a court. Claims against an employer for late payment may be filed by way of a private lawsuit. The Louisiana Workforce Commission does not have the authority to enforce this law. La. R.S. 23.631 & 23.632
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Having said that, don't forget that Maryland has been under extreme weather conditions lately and it's very possible that the payroll department couldn't get in; in Baltimore, there were several days where there was an executive order that NO personal vehicles were allowed on the roads.

Cut them a few days slack, OK?
      I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Oh, did they get a snow storm in Md. - Elle never mentioned it!
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Parts of the MD/DC area have had close to five FEET of snow in the last week and a half. The entire area is at a standstill. AND they are due another six inches or so on Monday.
          The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

I know. I was just kidding Elle - I saw Elle post the snow info a lot!

PS - I don't mean posted it on *this forum.*
            Betty3
            Last edited by Betty3; 02-12-2010, 10:09 AM. Reason: add PS

Comment

I figured you knew - but I thought it might help the poster to put the situation in perspective.
              The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Right, good idea. Elle blames the Penguin & rightfully so.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                Working...
                X