Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from www.LaborLawCenter.com, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PA-Having Incorrect Information on Performance Review Corrected-how far should I push

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PA-Having Incorrect Information on Performance Review Corrected-how far should I push

I work as a claims rep for an insurance carrier.
    I had my performance discussion today (for year ending 2009)
    I am not in danger of losing my job-I do meet the expectations of the position.However, in some areas I was not so strong. I did receive a raise, but maybe not as much as I could have gotten. I also do not want the performance appraisal in my permanent file in case I post out of the department for another position.

I went back and reviewed some of the files after the performance appraisal.
    I found some blatant errors in the performance appraisal-saying things were not done when the documentation clearly showed these steps had been taken.
    It would increase the score in some of my areas (from a "minor needs improvement" to an exceeds or meets

I e-mailed my supervisor and did not hear back from her. It was toward the end of the day.

I am just wondering what rights I have if the information on my performance review is proveably incorrect and needs revision. I am hoping they do not try to say that the time has passed to "rebutt" the information. Even if they do not change my "score", I want an addendum showing that errors were made in the evaluation. If they do correct the mistakes, I am wondering how far I should push the issue.

This is entirely an internal matter. There are no laws whatsoever addressing performance reviews.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

If the information is blatantly incorrect, do they not have to amend it? Or at least attach any additional documentation outlining my dispute?

Comment

There is no law that requires that they do anything at all.

Repeat: NO LAWS directly address performance reviews. NONE. They do not require that they are given; they do not address what happens if the employee disagrees with them; they do not require the employer to make amendments. That remains true even if the employee has proof positive that they are inaccurate or incorrect.

In your state, if you believe that something (this is not limited to performance reviews) in your personnel file is incorrect, you can make a petition to the Board of Labor Standard for a hearing. After the hearing, the Board of Labor Standards MAY (there is no guarantee) allow you to place a rebuttal in your file giving your interpretation. That's about all.
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
        Working...
        X