This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What protects me? North Carolina

Lets say that I am working a job, and I am not under contract. My boss says that he will require me to fix his wall paper at his house, and do some other unreasonable, but not illegal things at his home. This has absolutly nothing to do with what I was hired to do at the office.
    I know that I am subject to his every whim, because there is no contract.
    I know this allready. That is not my question. My question is, What peotects me from an acusation that could follow / that I stole something from his house....or I did not do the job to his satisfaction and somehow I am liable for damages occured because he was too cheap to hire a professional to do the work? I have had dealings with this person in the past, that would lead me to believe that he is a crook.
    I feel like he is trying to force me to quit so that he doesn't have to pay for unemployment. Is there a way that I can manuver him into firing me in such a manor that I would for sure recieve unemployment?
    There are many instances where this person has treated his employees unfairly....However, I believe that he has most likely not broken any laws. He has made it his purpose to be a real turd to everyone.....and yet not subject himself to any recourse. I need out of this situation, but I can not quit....as I am reminded daily by my boss.....with a sadistic grin on his face...
    "yeah, the economy is so bad....nobody is hiring, so you are all screwed."
    Any ideas?
    brad102
    Last edited by brad102; 02-07-2010, 01:37 PM.

Lol... Soo many things could go wrong for HIM...

Sexual harassment
    Fall get hurt

prob more then i can think of right now but, take a tape recorder with you

Comment

Squills, are you seriously suggesting that the OP manufacture charges against the boss?

I hope you aren't because if you are, you moved several steps closer to having your account on this forum closed.
      The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

I hope you are not suggesting the OP commit a crime. It is a crime in California to intercept or eavesdrop upon any confidential communication, including a telephone call or wire communication, without the consent of all parties.
        Somedays you're the windshield and somedays you're the bug.

Comment

Originally posted by brad102 View Post
          My question is, What peotects me from an acusation that could follow / that I stole something from his house....or I did not do the job to his satisfaction and somehow I am liable for damages occured because he was too cheap to hire a professional to do the work? I have had dealings with this person in the past, that would lead me to believe that he is a crook.

"yeah, the economy is so bad....nobody is hiring, so you are all screwed."
          Any ideas?
          If he's doing this to other people, could you buddy up with someone? That way you could vouch for each other. Also, take pictures of whatever work you perform. (I'm assuming taking pictures of someone's private property is not illegal - anyone?) Do you have anything in e-mail, or is he too sneaky to put anything in writing?
          Good luck.
          Don't feed the trolls.

Comment

Lol no, I am saying that is a very very dangerous position to be in.. and nothing wrong with taking a video camera , or recorder with you as long as you let him know first.

And also agree, take a friend or another coworker

Comment

He wouldn't be allowed to take anyone with her or any type of recording if the boss doesn't allow it.

Comment

Originally posted by HRinMA View Post
                He wouldn't be allowed to take anyone with her or any type of recording if the boss doesn't allow it.
                And why would the boss do so? It buys the boss nothing.
                I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Pattymd View Post
                  And why would the boss do so? It buys the boss nothing.
                  Clearly, I live in fairy land. Sorry.
                  Don't feed the trolls.

Comment

Boss, I am recording everything as I want to be able to sue you in case something happens when I am doing work I do not want to be doing. That is why I have a witness following me around everywhere.

If you were the boss, what would you do???

If I were you, I would put in 3 applications every day. It is easier to get a job when you have a job.

Comment

Originally posted by GotSmart View Post
                      Boss, I am recording everything as I want to be able to sue you in case something happens when I am doing work I do not want to be doing. That is why I have a witness following me around everywhere.

If you were the boss, what would you do???
                      My point exactly. GS just said it better than I did.
                      I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

[QUOTE=GotSmart;1104186]Boss, I am recording everything as I want to be able to sue you in case something happens when I am doing work I do not want to be doing. That is why I have a witness following me around everywhere.

[QUOTE]

I get it, I get it! I'm naive! Ok! Thanks for the mockery - always appreciated when I'm being daft.

Hey, not like I went off the deep end and suggested the OP contact the ACLU because his boss is violating the 13 amendment....
                        Don't feed the trolls.

Comment

Actually, not a bad idea. Tie him up in court so he will not bother you~~~~HMMM

Comment

If it's any consolation to the OP, this boss will be up the proverbial creek when (if?) the economy gets better. Sounds like a class A jerk who inspires no loyalty in his workforce.

When you get another job, I hope you truly enjoy giving him your notice!

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                            Working...
                            X