This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Job Description North Carolina

I've been working with a company for about 7 months now. I'm a designer and the company owns & manages several hotels. I help with the design of their renovation projects & have some general office duties.

My boss (who is part owner of the company) told me last week that I need to take a class to learn how to install wallpaper so that I can fix the wallpaper at her house. Can she do this legally? If I do wallpaper repair at her house and screw it up, can I be liable? I have never installed wallpaper before and am certainly not comfortable doing so. When I asked her where I should take a class, she would not provide me with any help and told me to figure it out. When I was interviewed and hired nothing was ever said about me doing work at any of the owner's homes.

If I was working as a fast food cook, I can't imagine it would be legal for my manager to demand I cook a meal for him and his family at his home. Request it for extra pay, yes, but not demand it.

Yes, she can require you take this class and yes, she can require you do the work. There is no law that is going to prohibit it.

Are you exempt or nonexempt?
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

I'm not sure if she wants it done during office hours or not. I am a salaried employee.

Comment

Salaried doesn't mean much by itself - it's just a payment method. Do you happen to know if you are exempt or non-exempt?
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

First...she CANT MAKE you do anything.

Second she said you had to take a class.... I know lots of free online classes taught by PDF files.

Third, What ever you do don't fall and get hurt while putting up wall paper (which you told her you were not comfortable doing)

Fouth..Ding fries are done!

Comment

I'm an exempt employee.

Comment

Originally posted by squills View Post
              First...she CANT MAKE you do anything.

Second she said you had to take a class.... I know lots of free online classes taught by PDF files.

Third, What ever you do don't fall and get hurt while putting up wall paper (which you told her you were not comfortable doing)

Fouth..Ding fries are done!

squills,

I hope you are joking in suggesting she "gets hurt" and files a worker's comp claim. Even for legitimate claims, w/c is not easy money and it would not solve the OP's issue. Op could injure himself and be required to complete the wallpaper job when back at work.

Comment

As an exempt employee, you do not need to be paid anything extra for either the class or the work.
                I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by HRinMA View Post
                  squills,I hope you are joking in suggesting she "gets hurt" and files a worker's comp claim.
                  I believe squills said "Don't fall and get hurt" unless they were indirectly suggesting they do fall & get hurt & file a WC claim. (Could be.)
                  Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Squills posted something similar on another thread which lead me to think he was suggesting inventing a claim.

Comment

Yes, I read that post in the other thread after I read the post in this thread.

Comment

FYI, in the absence of a legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA that expressly says otherwise, your employer may legally demand that you do anything he wants you to do as long as it is not either illegal or unsafe by OSHA standards.
                        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                        Working...
                        X