This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unemployment Claims Interview??? New Jersey

Hi folks, I lost my job last month for no reason. Literally, my old boss is verbally abusive, throws things, etc. Really bad work environment. Long story short, I asked him numerous times to not bash the employees in front of customers. He blew up at me over the phone and told me to leave. Ok, I left. It's for the better. I got my first claim a few weeks ago. Last week, I was told that I cannot get my check. I have a phone interview tomorrow b/c I "may have been released due to misconduct." Bottom line is I didn't do anything wrong. I was just wondering what to expect on the phone? I'm pretty nervous.. don't do to well on the phone. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. I wish I could convince my old co-workers to help me file a harrassment charge against him (noone will though).
    Thanks

We would have no idea. However, if the employer is protesting, the burden of proof will be on him to prove to the satisfaction of the state that whatever "misconduct" he is claiming is one that would disqualify you for benefits. Do not bash the employer. Answer only the questions asked, think about the answer before you speak, and do not bring up issues not directly related to you quitting.

The only other thing I could think of is that the employer might say that when he said "leave" he meant for the moment or for the day, not forever.

Based on what you posted, however, I don't see any illegal harrassment for which you would have any legal recourse. It is not illegal for a boss to be an equal opportunity jerk.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

well, that's the thing. I didn't quit. And I DO see something wrong with a boss screaming at the top of his lungs "you're all worthless pieces of *&*T!! I hope you all die" Is that a good work enviroment?? How about the time he threw a glass bottle across the store and almost hit a worker in the head?? I was told that I was to get the f' out of the store and that I was done. For no reason whatsoever. Not the first time it's happened to someone there.

Comment

Calm down. I didn't say it wasn't "wrong". It's rude and it's unprofessional. I said that, based on what you had posted, it wasn't illegal. Two different things.

Throwing dangerous objects at a person is attempted battery.

OK, so you didn't say "I quit". Your defense, if the employer says you did, is that you interpreted "leave" as "you're fired".
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

totally calm.. just explaining what happened. i would still like to know the reason for my post.. what should i expect tomorrow?

Comment

I believe Patty already answered that in her 1st post - did you want something add'l.?
            Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

she said she has no idea. maybe someone else who has been through this would be able to help.

Comment

We do have no idea. She also gave you some suggestions.
                Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                Working...
                X