This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My job wants me to write this letter New Jersey

My boss informed me today, that he would honor my request to be laid-off only if i wrote the following letter

" I acknowledge that im being laid off do to a decline in the bussiness and I will not persue remployment with this company"

Would this letter affect me if i tried to open a UI claim?

On the face of it, I would say no, because the statement doesn't SAY you requested a "lay-off". But why ARE you "requesting" you be laid off? And what happens if you DON'T sign such a statement?

Literally, a "ay-off" means that you are subject to recall when business picks back up. But a lot of companies use "lay-off" for almost any type of employer-initiated termination, instead of Job Elimination or Reduction in Force (reducing the number of employees who do the same job as you) or even Fired for Cause or Fired because we don't like you.

And what difference does it make to the employer whether you "pursue employment" at a later date with them or not? If they don't want to rehire you, they don't have to.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

thnx for the reply..

I posted why im seeking to be laid off in another post.

Im a union truck driver, could it maybe be because of this? a way to protect them selves? the part that states "i will not seek remployment with them" could it be used against me to deny me my UI benefits?

again thank you.

Comment

Not seeking reemployment with that company wont impact unemployment.

Most likely, for whatever reason, they dont want you back. So they are having you sign this so you cant come back some time in the future and want to be rehired.

Thats my guess.
        I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have.
        Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Agree with Morgana. I think I may remember your post, but I'm not going looking for it.
          I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Also see http://www.laborlawtalk.com/showthread.php?t=236831
            Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
            Working...
            X