• Show
Clear All

• Betty3
    replied
    You're welcome.

Leave a comment:

• Cindy Marc
    replied
    great! Thanks...and thanks to all for your input.

Leave a comment:

• Pattymd
    replied
    Originally posted by Cindy Marc View Post
    it's a settlement for back wages....i will be given a 1099 at the end of the year. What should i ask the firm to learn if/how they will report it????
    You don't have to ask. If it's a 1099, there is no unemployment reporting at all, because it is not wages for UI tax purposes.

Leave a comment:

• Cindy Marc
    replied
    it's a settlement for back wages....i will be given a 1099 at the end of the year. What should i ask the firm to learn if/how they will report it????

Leave a comment:

• Pattymd
    replied
    Originally posted by Cindy Marc View Post
    I see. But when the firm reports the wages and the EDD finds out, won't i be investigated? The EDD doesn't know that it was for work done in 2007.
    If this is a settlement and not back wages, there IS no employer reporting to EDD.

Leave a comment:

• Cindy Marc
    replied
    I see. But when the firm reports the wages and the EDD finds out, won't i be investigated? The EDD doesn't know that it was for work done in 2007.

Leave a comment:

• Betty3
    replied
    What Scott is trying to tell you is you didn't EARN it - you didn't earn it while unemployed. You earned 0 - you did no work - therefore, there is nothing to report.

Leave a comment:

• Cindy Marc
    replied
    My concern is that i know the firm will report the income and EDD will find out. Edd will assume that i earned the $$$ recently if i don't tell them otherwise. They will not know that it was earned in 2007. I think the form asks for the dates the money was earned tho. If i don't report it and they find out (which they will) there will surely investigate.

Leave a comment:

• Scott67
    replied
    Originally posted by JesseIan View Post
    Yes, that is correct. I believe you do NOT need to report that income, but to be on the safe side I would recommend contacting EDD with that simple question. It would be unnecessary for them to pull up your current claim during the conversation. It takes about 2o minutes to get through. See the instructions below to speed things up.
    1-800-300-5616
    Immediately dial 1, 2, then 2, and then 7 and wait. You may need to call 10-30 times back to back before talking to someone live and the verbiage you'll be looking for is an automated voice giving you an estimated time to wait for someone live.
    I've done this successfully multiple times this past weeks regarding my first extension for benefits. They will answer questions without pulling up any of your information.
    Hope this helps.
    This would be a waste of time and you may happen to talk to an EDD employee who would give you incorrect information which would give you cause for concern. They will provide answers over the phone, but the answers are not binding on them in anyway.

Leave a comment:

• JesseIan
    replied
    Yes, that is correct. I believe you do NOT need to report that income, but to be on the safe side I would recommend contacting EDD with that simple question. It would be unnecessary for them to pull up your current claim during the conversation. It takes about 2o minutes to get through. See the instructions below to speed things up.
    1-800-300-5616
    Immediately dial 1, 2, then 2, and then 7 and wait. You may need to call 10-30 times back to back before talking to someone live and the verbiage you'll be looking for is an automated voice giving you an estimated time to wait for someone live.
    I've done this successfully multiple times this past weeks regarding my first extension for benefits. They will answer questions without pulling up any of your information.
    Hope this helps.
    Last edited by JesseIan; 10-12-2009, 07:31 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Scott67
    replied
    No. You earned nothing. You received something. It is "did you do work" or "did you earn money". A settlement coming in is neither. You also do not have to report interest you have received on savings, even though those savings were generated because you previously worked.
    Last edited by Scott67; 10-12-2009, 07:15 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Cindy Marc
    replied
    I see line 6 asks if i 'earned any money'.....i think i have to say 'yes'....right?

Leave a comment:

• Cindy Marc
    replied
    Thats true,,,,thanks. For some reason I thought i had to report any income i get.....so i only have to report "work", not income?

Leave a comment:

• Scott67
    replied
    Question 6 on your Continued Claim form asks "Did you work or earn any money, WHETHER YOU WERE PAID OR NOT?"

A settlement from years ago, or from last year, for that matter, is neither. It is not reportable to EDD.

Leave a comment:

• Calif unemployment-reporting wages awarded from lawsuit California

I am unemployed in Calif and collecting unemployment. When reporting the $$$ on my edd weekly form, do i need to catagorize the type income? Salary? Commission? Overtime? Any links you can provide me would be great....i have read everything i can get my hands on but don't see anything that applies to my situation.
    Last edited by Cindy Marc; 10-26-2009, 08:34 AM.
The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
Working...
X