Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

Weekend trip to assist Boss & Board members... California

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Weekend trip to assist Boss & Board members... California

    If it was requested I go on a weekend trip with my boss & the members of the Board, can I say no? If this is something that is assigned to me, am I risking my job by telling them no?
    I was going to go, but I cannot find child care for the weekend so I dont see how this will work. My job description says "...and any other duties as assigned". So if they assign this, am I stuck?

  • #2
    Yes, you can be required to go on this trip. If you don't, you can be disciplined up to & including being terminated for not doing so. (unless you would have a binding employment contract to the contrary)

    Your employer's concern is the business & not your child care problem.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

    Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.


    • #3
      Betty is correct, however, that doesn't mean you can't ask your boss for an exemption from this trip because of personal needs. None of us can know what your work environment is like or how well that request will be recieved.

      They have the legal right to discipline you over it, including termination, under at-will employment. Conversely, you have the right to quit.


      The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.