Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

Non-Exempt to Exempt North Carolina

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Non-Exempt to Exempt North Carolina

    I am currently employed in NC. I work third shift 8pm to 8am. I recently worked some overtime which my company pays time and a half. Any time before this has not been an issue. Apparently when I submitted my timesheet HR came back and said as of the 7/24 you status changed to exempt. I was never briefed or told of the change. They also said I was losing my 15% deferential.

    Is there anything I can do?

    Thank you in advance.

  • #2
    What kind of business is this (not actual name of employer) & what are your job duties? Thanks.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

    Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.


    • #3
      Network Operations Support (IT)


      • #4
        Tell us more about your duties. Some job titles such as this, depending on the primary duties, CAN be exempt.

        However, the loss of the differential pay, because it is a change in the wage agreement, (but not the overtime eligibility) does require a 24-hour notice in your state (cannot be retroactive).
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.


        The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.