Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

Part-time holiday pay, New York New York

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Part-time holiday pay, New York New York

    Hello. Is an employer of a privately owned company required to pay time and a half on a national holiday to a part-time worker?

  • #2
    No, they are not. (unless you have a binding employment contract to the contrary)
    Last edited by Betty3; 07-03-2009, 09:44 PM.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

    Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.


    • #3
      In MA and RI, SOME employees in SOME industries are entitled to time and a half if they work on SOME holidays. (So-called "Federal holidays apply ONLY if you work for the Federal government.)

      In all other states, and for, quite frankly, most employees in the two states above, regardless of your full or part time status and regardless of what holiday it is, no employee is required by either state or Federal law to be paid one penny over their regular wage.

      The above applies to private employees and not to employees of state, Federal or local government. Exceptions may also apply where government contractors are concerned. Bona fide contracts or CBA's may give additional holiday rights over and above what the law gives. But for the majority of employees employed by private employers, time and a half on holidays is owed only if the employer chooses to provide it.
      The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.


      The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.