Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

She implied that she did up to 1 1/2 years ago. She got a life and the parents objected.

Comment

That's just wrong on so many levels. And it's illegal on a bunch of levels, too.
      I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Yes, up until I met/got together with my soon-to-be-hubby, they PAID me, QUITE A BIT! I owned a LARGE 3 bedroom house, had a brand new mustang, all my bills were paid... now we struggle to make ends meet.

I do NOT get a paycheck, and haven't for a year and half pretty much. My car payment comes directly out of the business checking account (but the car is still in my name) they pay my cell phone, and $400 towards my $1200 rent, of which they use the entire 2 car garage for the business so I am sure they consider that on THEIR taxes as "rent for materials/work space"

The more and more I think about it, the more and more I get pissed off about it. I told my Mom to fire me the other day and pay someone $7.25 (minimum wage) to work and see how much money she has to dump INTO the business.

Should I just file for unemployment now since I don't even get paid?! Is that illegal?

Comment

Originally posted by Pattymd View Post
          But Florida does have an Unemployment Agency. Dept. of Workforce Innovation, or something like that.
          That's true - re unemployment compensation Fl. has the Agency for Workforce Innovation.
          Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

sasas711 - You can file a claim for unpd. wages with the US DOL.

You can file for unemployment ins. benefits with the agcy. above.
            Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Just one caveat.

It is absolutely illegal for them not to be paying you. In Florida, you can file a wage claim with the US DOL or you can file a civil suit. The US DOL will only support a claim for the Federal minimum wage times hours worked, so you may want to take that into consideration. There is no question whatsoever that wage and hour laws are being violated. None at all.

BUT. ONLY the state of Florida can say if you will receive unemployment if you quit. No one here can say for certain.
              The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Agree with cbg. When I said you can apply for UI benefits, I didn't mean you would definitely get them in case you thought that. It would be up to the state to make the decision as to whether you get UI or not. I should have added that to be completely clear.

Comment

Just so I am reading everyone correctly, everything they are doing is illegal on a FEDERAL level?!

I CAN apply for unemployment since they don't pay me?!

AND, I can file a claim with the US DOL for backpay/overtime/etc.?!

If I file a civil suit, what about pain and suffering?! (I'm sorry, I don't even want to take it that far but yesterday my Dad said he was going to try to get custody of my daughter for no reason at all, and if he tries, I will throw the book at him without a blink of an eye!)

Comment

Yes, yes, and yes.

Regarding pain and suffering, no, not as a result of the non/underpayment of wages.

I'm sorry you're going through this; he sounds toxic.
                    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Pattymd View Post
                      Yes, yes, and yes.

Regarding pain and suffering, no, not as a result of the non/underpayment of wages.

I'm sorry you're going through this; he sounds toxic.
                      Thank you Pattymd, yes, it is a terrible situation and I need OUT ASAP, I just need to make sure I do it the right way so I don't get in any trouble. I need far FAR away from them, as does my daughter!

I know your signature says no private messages, but if you'd be willing to throw any info my way, I'd appreciate it to no end! I have no idea where to start!

Off to file for my unemployment.

Comment

While applying for Unemployment, do I say I DO or DO NOT have a job since I have no W-2 or paycheck?!

Comment

The site is asking me if I am working full time and I clicked "Yes" and now it says I can not file if I work full time.... ideas?

ETA: This is what the site says, and like I said before I want to do this the right way and not get myself in any trouble!
                          "The Florida Law provides that making a false statement, knowing it to be false, in order to obtain or increase unemployment benefits, is a Third Degree Felony and is punishable by a fine up to $5,000 and/or up to five years in jail. Each week of benefits claimed is a separate offense for prosecution. All cases determined to be fraudulent can be referred to the State Attorney's office for prosecution."
                          Last edited by sasas711; 06-25-2009, 08:18 AM.

Comment

Call them.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                            Working...
                            X