This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not getting fair pay - Florida

I have been working in my "parents" business for 7 years. The business license is in their name and I have run the business for the past 7 years. Up until a year and a half ago, they paid me a decent wage. I had my own home, nice car, insurance, everything. Now that they don't "approve" of my fiance, they have stopped paying me all together except for my car payment and $400 of my rent, and cell phone is paid through the business. (which I am sure they can write off each on their taxes each year, so no loss for them!)

I work SEVEN days a week, 10 hour days and my car payment is a little under $200. So doing the math, $200 for car, $400 for rent, and I'd even say $100 for the cell (even though I know my portion is not that much) so that is $700 a MONTH for 240 hour work month. (That works out to $2.92 an hour) That is just the work IN the business, and we all know there is more time put in at home.

How can I get paid a proper wage? I don't want to get my parents in "trouble" but this is down right slave labor. I am loyal to them so I don't want to quit on them, but I may have to.... any suggestions? If I quit, could I claim unemployment? I don't know the rules or anything! Please help! Thanks so much!

How can I get paid a proper wage? You can always file a complaint with your State's Department of Labor. They must pay you at least minimum wage.

I am loyal to them so I don't want to quit on them, but I may have to.... any suggestions? Your parents are trying to hold you financially hostage until you do what they want, which is to ditch your fiance. The question is whether you're going to stand for that. They're treating you like a child, using the only tool they have (the purse strings) to force you to concede to their wishes. Perhaps your parents have legitimate concerns about your fiance and if so, you should listen to what those are and then decide for yourself whether they're valid and what, if anything, to do about that. But whatever their concerns are, they're going about this entirely the wrong way.

If you don't mind some personal advice, you need to sit down with mom and dad and nicely but firmly tell them that the current state of affairs is not going to continue and that your relationship as a family must be entirely separate from your relationship as a working professional and employee. If the three of you can't come to terms on that, then you will need to move on to a new job right away.

You also need to decide whether it's in your best interests to be so dependent on your parents. It may be best to strike out on your own professionally, even if the current situation is resolved. Working 7 days a week, ten hours a day isn't going to help your relationship with your fiance and soon-to-be husband.

If you quit, yes, you can file a claim for unemployment benefits. I can't say for sure whether the State will grant benefits but given what you're being paid, chances are that this constitutes "good cause" to quit and collect unemployment.

Comment

Originally posted by Beth3 View Post
      How can I get paid a proper wage? You can always file a complaint with your State's Department of Labor. They must pay you at least minimum wage.

I am loyal to them so I don't want to quit on them, but I may have to.... any suggestions? Your parents are trying to hold you financially hostage until you do what they want, which is to ditch your fiance. The question is whether you're going to stand for that. They're treating you like a child, using the only tool they have (the purse strings) to force you to concede to their wishes. Perhaps your parents have legitimate concerns about your fiance and if so, you should listen to what those are and then decide for yourself whether they're valid and what, if anything, to do about that. But whatever their concerns are, they're going about this entirely the wrong way.

If you don't mind some personal advice, you need to sit down with mom and dad and nicely but firmly tell them that the current state of affairs is not going to continue and that your relationship as a family must be entirely separate from your relationship as a working professional and employee. If the three of you can't come to terms on that, then you will need to move on to a new job right away.

You also need to decide whether it's in your best interests to be so dependent on your parents. It may be best to strike out on your own professionally, even if the current situation is resolved. Working 7 days a week, ten hours a day isn't going to help your relationship with your fiance and soon-to-be husband.

If you quit, yes, you can file a claim for unemployment benefits. I can't say for sure whether the State will grant benefits but given what you're being paid, chances are that this constitutes "good cause" to quit and collect unemployment.
      I understand my parents concerns about my fiance, they don't like the fact that he is divorced with a son and that his job at the moment is not the greatest. He just got a new job today that will be paying him double what he makes now! YAY!

If I quit even if they don't pay an "unemployment tax", does it come out of their pocket??? I wouldn't want to do that to them either... :/ I am such a sweet and nice person and like to "keep the peace" and am trying to keep my family in tact, but as you said, business is business and family is seperate from that! THEY just don't get that!

Comment

Why aren't they paying unemployment tax on your wages? Have they ever done so?
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

If I quit even if they don't pay an "unemployment tax", does it come out of their pocket??? All employers pay an on-going payroll tax to the State to fund the State's unemployment tax fund.

I wouldn't want to do that to them either... :/ I am such a sweet and nice person and like to "keep the peace" and am trying to keep my family in tact, So how's that working for you? I understand you don't want to cause a rift with your parents but they don't seem to mind causing one with you. They haven't paid you for a year and a-half so you must be in a world of hurt financially.

I'm not suggesting you have some big blow-out with your parents. I'm suggesting that you set some clear boundaries with them and one of them is that if they expect you to continue working for the family business, you expect to get paid a fair salary with benefits for the work that you do and if they're not prepared to separate business from family issues, then you have no option but to find another job. This is about being an adult rather than their little girl. You can be nice, sweet and loving to your parents and still do what you need to do to take care of yourself. I promise you that they can handle it no matter how much pouting or fussing they do.

Your parents may be lovely people but the're also being HUGELY manipulative. Time to change the family dynamic and that will be up to you.

Comment

Originally posted by Pattymd View Post
            Why aren't they paying unemployment tax on your wages? Have they ever done so?
            I was under the assumption that they never have, I don't know how the tax thing works so I couldn't be sure if it is wrapped up in the "insurance" they pay for the business and whatnot.... I just am not positive on this one!

Originally posted by Beth3 View Post
            If I quit even if they don't pay an "unemployment tax", does it come out of their pocket??? All employers pay an on-going payroll tax to the State to fund the State's unemployment tax fund.

I wouldn't want to do that to them either... :/ I am such a sweet and nice person and like to "keep the peace" and am trying to keep my family in tact, So how's that working for you? I understand you don't want to cause a rift with your parents but they don't seem to mind causing one with you. They haven't paid you for a year and a-half so you must be in a world of hurt financially.

I'm not suggesting you have some big blow-out with your parents. I'm suggesting that you set some clear boundaries with them and one of them is that if they expect you to continue working for the family business, you expect to get paid a fair salary with benefits for the work that you do and if they're not prepared to separate business from family issues, then you have no option but to find another job. This is about being an adult rather than their little girl. You can be nice, sweet and loving to your parents and still do what you need to do to take care of yourself. I promise you that they can handle it no matter how much pouting or fussing they do.

Your parents may be lovely people but the're also being HUGELY manipulative. Time to change the family dynamic and that will be up to you.
            They ARE hugely manipulative!!!! It is NOT working out so well for me/us as a family (my fiance and I and our children) and I am and the end of my "nice" rope, that is why I am here. I sew baby clothes and sell them on Etsy to get by and that helps but is not a "consistant" pay check and I want justa part time job to help out! I am in total agreement that the ties need to be cut, I just don't want the big blow out over it. My parents did not talk to my sister for almost 2 years over a $150 credit card bill that was something my PARENTS bought for themselves, yet thought my sister should pay for it since it was on HER credit card. I am over it and want done with this!!!

Comment

Nope. It's a separate tax return. If you are an employee, the employer is supposed to report your wages quarterly to the Unemployment Commission and pay UI taxes on your wages up to the state limit (per year). In Florida, that is currently $7,000 and the tax rate varies by employer, but normally somewhere between 1% and 7 or 8%.
              I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Pattymd View Post
                Nope. It's a separate tax return. If you are an employee, the employer is supposed to report your wages quarterly to the Unemployment Commission and pay UI taxes on your wages up to the state limit (per year). In Florida, that is currently $7,000 and the tax rate varies by employer, but normally somewhere between 1% and 7 or 8%.
                I don't think they pay tax quarterly. Is there somewhere to look up if they do or not? And if it makes a difference, I don't get a paycheck. They pay those "bills" directly to the car company, my landlord, and cell phone company and consider THAT my pay.... I am so lost I don't know where to look or what to do.

Comment

So you have never had a W~2?

You are being cheated out of your Social Security benefits when you "retire"

It looks to me like you need to not be such a door mat.

Your parents are cheating everyone, You, the government, and the other tax payers.

I would throw a hornets nest into the door by making several phone calls. I think the IRS pays a percentage for tips on tax cheats.

You are also due for wages for quite a while. State D.O.L.

Sorry, my "Mr. Nice Guy" is broken today.

Comment

Originally posted by GotSmart View Post
                    So you have never had a W~2?

You are being cheated out of your Social Security benefits when you "retire"

It looks to me like you need to not be such a door mat.

Your parents are cheating everyone, You, the government, and the other tax payers.

I would throw a hornets nest into the door by making several phone calls. I think the IRS pays a percentage for tips on tax cheats.

You are also due for wages for quite a while. State D.O.L.

Sorry, my "Mr. Nice Guy" is broken today.
                    Nope, have never had a W-2.

Can this be done "anonyomusly"?!?!?!
                    Last edited by sasas711; 06-23-2009, 11:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sasas711 View Post
                      Nope, have never had a W-2.

Can this be done "anonyomusly"?!?!?!
                      It carries more weight if they can speak with someone. You can provide the proof needed.

Things are up to you. It looks like you have to stand up to your parents one way or another.

Good luck.

Comment

Can/will they keep it "confidential" when speaking to my parents about the "tip off"?

Comment

Just to be clear, FL does not have a DOL.
                          "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
                          Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

If you want to file a wage claim/complaint with the DOL, it would have to be the US (federal) DOL. DAW is correct that Fl. has no state DOL.
                            Last edited by Betty3; 06-23-2009, 10:29 PM. Reason: left out word
                            Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

But Florida does have an Unemployment Agency. Dept. of Workforce Innovation, or something like that.

You've never gotten a paycheck? At all, ever?

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                              Working...
                              X