This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smell like a scam? South Carolina

This may be off topic for this site. But perhaps not. I also posted this message on Monster & Dice were career advice forums exist.
    ----
    Saw a ad in the newspaper for a sales job on a too good to be true wage ($1250 biweekly) with no experience required. I called up the employer and had a interview today along with about 15-20 others that showed up. The manager (dressed in a suit coat) looked at my resume, and asked me some questions prior to which he made a remark about my religion. This remark was in favor of my views, and according to him he wants to hire Christians (because they are honest) and so he told me to show up tomorrow night for orientation. This job sounds too good to be true, but unfortunately I could not find anything on this company online in Rip Off report, Consumer affairs, or other websites, so perhaps they are a start up. The manager told me I would be making that wage plus an extra $400-$600 after each sale (too good to be true).

I did screen this company before I went to the interview and asked the person on the phone if the job required me to pay money to work, if they were anything like Kirby's Vacumes, Vector marketing, Scott Marketing, Liberty national insurance and other scams and too good to be true jobs most of which required a payment on my end. The company claims to get their clients via telemarketing and all I do is show up, present the product and get paid.

Based on what I have said so far, does this smell like a scam?

John

I have no idea but if I couldn't find any information about the company online, that would raise a major red flag.
    I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Originally posted by ElleMD View Post
      I have no idea but if I couldn't find any information about the company online, that would raise a major red flag.
      The others I mentioned have all kinds of complaints online so they are scams.

Comment

However, just because you didn't find any complaints on this co. online doesn't mean they aren't a scam. I'm not saying they are though - I don't know.

You could possibly talk to the Better Business Bureau.
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

If there is nothing known about this company, I would contact the city clerk to see if there is a business license issued. Then check with the state attorney general's office.

All of which should have been done before hand.
          I don't believe what I write, and neither should you. Information furnished to you is for debate purposes only, be sure to verify with your own research.
          Keep in mind that the information provided may not be worth any more than either a politician's promise or what you paid for it (nothing).
          I also may not have been either sane or sober when I wrote it down.
          Don't worry, be happy.

http://www.rcfp.org/taping/index.html is a good resource!

Comment

Too good to be true usually is.
            I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

My brother made $80K a year selling Kirby's. They have been selling machines for 90+ years.

What happens is that people are let go quickly if they are not sales material. They hire 20 people, and at the end of the week 2 are left. Not many can take the rejection.

Also there is the 3 day rule. A customer has 3 days to return anything sold door to door.

Ask for information, and do the research. If nothing is known about the company, then do not touch it.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
              Working...
              X