X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinkin' of taking a 1099 job.. Can I get some advice? Alabama

Hey guys-

I am currently really tired of my current job and am looking at getting into something else..

The position I am looking at is a 1099 Independent Contract job.. I wish it wasn't but.. it is..

So..

I'm trying to find out if it's worth my time to swap.. I am currently working a job where I make "pre-tax" around $24,000 a year..

The job I am looking at is pre-tax $35,000 base pay and can go up from there based on performance..

The biggest thing so far is the lose of insurance.. So I am going to have to pick that up.. I currently pay around $150/month for myself and my wife.. It will probably double from what I can tell..

Am I reading correctly that 60% of the premiums are deductible?

Also, I will be able to deduct my office.. Based on office size/house size = percent of deduction.. How much of my electricity, water, etc, etc, is deductible off this?

I will be required by the job to get a home phone which I currently do not have.. How much of this is deductible?

I am just trying to make sure that I don't come out behind on the job switch.. You'd think an extra base of $10,000 a year would be noticeable, but unfortunately I've never paid too much attention to tax details and now I guess I have to.

Anyone have any other items I can deduct? The job will be 100% in my home, working on the phone.. Basically an account manager for a company, dealing directly with our dealers..

Thanks guys..

Jeff

You need to speak with an experienced accountant. Don't forget also, that you won't have unemployment coverage and you'll have to pay both portions of FICA/Medicare (self-employment tax=15.3%).
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

You might want to also make sure that IRS agrees with the classification of independant contractor.

http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/...=99921,00.html
      "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
      Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
      Working...
      X