This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not really a labor question but... Massachusetts

Does anyone know about felony laws in MA? I just discovered an employee has been stealing and totaled up the amount and it is about $4,000. At what dollar amount do the police actually come and arrest her? I have had small amount of theft before where I place a police report but nothing in this amount.

Have you terminated this employee?
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

They're not going to come arrest her at all unless you file a police report. Otherwise, how do they know to do so?
      The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

No she is being terminated tomorrow. I know I have to file a police report but I guess I'm wondering at what amount is it an arrestable offense? I have filed reports for $1000 and less and they don't arrest.

Comment

I have no idea what they consider an "arrestable" offense but I suspect it may have something to do with proof.
          The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

That's the only thing I can think of also. How exactly did the police handle in the cases where less than $4,000 was involved. Did they just do a police report? How did you handle?
            Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

I would suggest filing a police report. Having someone steal from the company, it would best serve you and your employer to have this on record providing that you can show proof of theft. (incase the the former ee comes back to file against you for wrongful termination...it's a long shot at best, but better to have your bases covered than not at all! People are crazy! ) First, I would start by getting your proof together and if you're still unsure about what to do, you can always call the non emergency number of your local police department and ask an officer.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
              Working...
              X