Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you say so. But you won't be paid for that time at any other job, either.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

thats OK
      I like punching in doing my job and punching out and going home
      this working out of the house works for some but not me
      I had 1 hour and a 1/2 drive home
      the company isnt routing the route so I finish near my home like they do for the other techs

Comment

I just read the laws again what about this one?
        http://www.dol.gov/dol/allcfr/ESA/Ti...9CFR785.41.htm
        I am driving a truck (their truck)

Comment

Your solution is simple.

Do your paperwork after each job. Fill up during the day, and clean the truck at the same time. Fill your water jug up in the afternoon, between jobs.

BTW, how will you get home after your last job?

Every job has its trade offs. Service work pays better, but has the travel. You can go pack to looking at the same thing 8 hours a day, but where is the mental stimulation in that? I enjoyed talking to all the different people every day, and fixing things that nobody else could.

When I worked service work, the job paid a minimum charge. If the charge was 1 hr, and the job took 1/2 hour, I made out. Either way, I averaged more then than most people did by being nice to the schedulers and customers. A box of pastry works wonders. Filling out your invoice at the customers location is chargeable time. You can also explain what happened at the same time, and build customer relations.

Comment

Are you doing service work for a company (Example; plumbing at customers business/home) or are you working for a company doing work at their company controlled locations?

If you are working on commission (plumber) or servicing a companies equipment (straight wage) does make a difference. The commission worker does not get paid for travel between jobs.

Either way, they are providing you with free transportation and saving you a bundle in wear and tear on your vehicle. Any job in this economy is a good one.

The law is clear on this. See the first few responses.

Different companies have different set ways of paying service people. As long as you make at least minimum wage, (on average) they are in the clear.

Comment

thanks for the last two replies
              I have been doing most of those (filling the water) no place for gas on that route(we have to go to a certain place)
              I still have to fax the paperwork over
              I'm just having a hard time adjusting I guess
              as far as wear and tear (on the car)I only lived about 7min from work so that wasn't a big deal
              and its hourly pay
              so I look it like this
              on average I lost about 9 hours in one week (but not lost by law)

I really do appreciate the replies guys

Comment

The cost of doing business. I had a service area that was 150 miles X 50 miles. SF Bay area traffic. 8 AM to Midnight some days. Does your job sound better now? I could go from one corner to the other at a phone call.

Can you get your other job back? (Do you want it?)

Personal advice. Get an IPOD and some great tunes. Enjoy your travel time. AH~~ To be young and able to work hard again!

You have some thinking to do. What your company is doing is legal.

Good luck.

Comment

its funny you say the cost of doing business
                  its not costing the company nada to get the truck home safely everynight
                  and I have thought about it there is more than 1 way to skin a cat
                  and skin them I will!!

Comment

Originally posted by BUGJUICE View Post
                    there is more than 1 way to skin a cat
                    and skin them I will!!
                    Be careful, there are several cat lovers here.
                    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Pattymd View Post
                      Be careful, there are several cat lovers here.
                      Yes there are.

Bugjuice; Companies will prosecute any theft of product, supplies, or services they come upon. They will also cut any people that are producing less than "normal." It will look bad on your resume or record to be fired for malfeasance. If you are that unhappy, find another job ASAP!

Your company is doing nothing illegal.

Comment

no no I would never steal
                        and driving under the speed limit is not illegal either
                        sorry bout the cat

Comment

http://www.dol.gov/dol/allcfr/ESA/Ti...9CFR785.38.htm
                          one more question oh great ones
                          if we need to check in once a week
                          are we supposed to get paid from home to the office in the morning?
                          I added this law here because it seems to fit this part of the case

Comment

No.

Read your link carefully.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                            Working...
                            X