This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reduction in hours / Georgia

I work for a company that informed me I was going to be let go due to reduced workload. They were going to let me and a part time guy go. They told us Thursday that on Monday(4 days) we were still going to have a job but instead, all hourly associates were being reduced to half time(20 hours)

I can't help but think they are trying to force people to quit to keep from paying UE benefits.

My question is can I draw partial unemployment for the reduction in hours?

Many states will pay partial UI benefits for a significant reduction in hours. You would need to contact any Ga. DOL Career Ctr. & ask.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

If your employer is indeed trying to get you to quit by cutting your hours so you would not qualify for UI, they need to rethink that plan.
      I am in a high turnover field in Ga and deal with UI more than I would like. Quitting does not always mean disqualification. In some cases, an employee can quit because of a work agreement issue that the employer is not living up to and they would get benefits. If an employee has a pay cut through no fault of their own (say, a demotion with no warnings regarding performance issues and consequences) and they quit they may get benefits. Sometimes the answers regarding benefits surprise me and I would think that quitting because your hours were cut would not automatically disqualify you for benefits. I'm not saying you would get benefits, I am merely saying that people have pre-set ideas about unemployment (including employers) and I have had many of the things I had been told by "civilians" not in the DOL system blown out of the water by some claims I have dealt with.

Comment

And with all due respect, an individual should think more than twice about quitting over a pay or hours cut because EVEN IF they are found eligible for benefits, in a great many cases the UI benefit will be less than they would have earned if they had stayed on the job with the reduced hours. Particularly if the UI office would have paid them partial benefits to make up some of the difference, which is the case more often than not.

A case in point is a friend of mine, who has worked in HR for many years but has not been responsible for UI claims. When her husband was laid off, she anticipated a benefit of several hundred dollars more than the maximum benefit for not only her state, but most states. She simply didn't realize how little UI actually pays. And if a seasoned HR manager didn't realize that, you can bet there are plenty of non-HR people who are finding out the hard way.
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

cbg, you are absolutely correct and I was going to put a little blip that the UI benefits (if won - big if) would not be a good bet. Plus, when things improve, he would not have a job that may be worth suffering through some pain now. My mistake for not continuing the train of thought on the UI downside.

Comment

I agree quiting and drawing unemployment is not an option. Like someone trying to get the same money but not having to work. (Despicable- but people attempt it).

I was just wondering if you can get partial unemployment to make up the lost wages and subsequent lost benefits since part timers don't get vacation, sick, or medical insurance any longer. I understand benefits don't justify a dollar figure.

My reading on this site and the DOL site points to having to actually quit to draw. I can't afford to quit nor do I want to. It wouldn't hurt to apply I guess. There don't seem to be any hard rules and awarding money seems to be somewhat subjective.

Comment

All you can do is apply and find out. But even so, that would only supplement your part-time wages; UI is not intended to compensate you for lost benefits as a result of the reduction in hours.
              Last edited by Pattymd; 06-05-2009, 10:50 AM.
              I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
              Working...
              X