This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mandatory days off without pay - NC North Carolina

Is it legal for an employer, of more than 1000 employees, to make you take days off without pay?

North Carolinais the state.

Thanks

If you are a non-exempt (hourly paid) employee, the answer is yes.

If you are an exempt employee, the answer is "it depends." More info would be needed about the the time off (when and how long) to answer your question

Comment

And Beth's answer's apply in all 50 states.
      The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Thank you... I'm just glad I don't work for that company anymore.

It was explained to me that the time off was 5 days over the course of a year.

Comment

You should be aware that many, many employers are having employees take days off without pay in order to reduce payroll costs and not have to layoff employees.

Some are doing a day a month, others are requiring a week at a time. Its not that this employer was so horrible. It is one way to try and avoid having to layoff people and I think its a far better way than to have employees lose their job.

While you are glad you dont work for that employer, I wonder how you'd feel if it came down to a choice of being out of work or taking some unpaid days!
          I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have.
          Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I completely understand. My comment about not working there anymore was on past experiences with the way the company handles things such as this, not very well. Thank you for your time.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
            Working...
            X