Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

I quit w/notice and now ex-boss wont pay PTO-Kentucky

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I quit w/notice and now ex-boss wont pay PTO-Kentucky

    I recently quit a job I held for over 6 years. I had over 64 hours of accumulated Paid Time Off based on hours that I work during the year that should have been paid out on my last check according to our handbook. It was not paid out and the reason given was that I missed a day during my two weeks. The hand book reads:

    Employee must give a written two week notice and must also work the two weeks.

    However, I gave a two week and one day notice because of the day I had to miss(it had been planned for awhile and was approved over a month before the notice was given).

    Another person quit last year and was sick during their two weeks. She visited the doctor during that time. He stated that if she had brought back a doctor's statement showing where she was, he would have paid her hours out. I did bring back a statement for the day I missed.

    Also, the handbook is only followed when it benefits him. For instance, it also states:

    Evaluations will be given every 6 calendar months with the 2nd evaluation of each year being when a raise is considered.

    I have not had an evaluation since August of 2006, much less a raise of any kind.

    Do I have any recourse?

  • #2
    Kentucky does not require the unconditional payout of PTO or vacation time. You are free to take the handbook to a KY attorney for review to see if it is worded in such a way as to make it contractual.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.


    The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.