This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mandatory "vacation" week--Tennessee Tennessee

I have a friend who's boss (the department manager, not the owner of the company) recently proposed his department take a week off for vacation in the near future. His reasoning initially was that the department deserved a break, but he has now told them that they must take the week off, and use their vacation time to do so (whether they have any left or not).

The company is fairly large and has many departments, but this is the only department that is required to take this week off. This means if someone has no vacation pay left, they will take a week off unpaid. In addition they will have to take mandatory two weeks off at Christmas, but this is company-wide.

My question is.....is it legal to require that an entire department take time off when no one else is required to, especially if that means they will be unpaid? I believe the boss wants this week off, and that is why he is making everyone else take the week off also. I think offering them the opportunity to take off would be okay, but can the department manager really force everyone to take time off?

If this isn't legal, who should this be reported to? The department manager seems to be part of a 'boys club" within upper-level management, so I feel there may be some problems if anyone within the department should make a complaint about the situation.

If this department manager has the authority to schedule vacations, then there is no problem. The company can certainly do so. It would seem that upper management or HR already knows about this, because it's going to be very obvious when a whole department doesn't show up for work for the same full week.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
    Working...
    X