This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is no law that says they can not.
    I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Supply and demand says they can't if nothing else does. 75% of their service employees that have these conditions imposed are ready to quit. In our business having a professional license in multiple states (something that fits all of us) means there is always work at another job. I started making calls this morning as I drove to a service call on their time and should be situated elsewhere by Monday.

Originally posted by ElleMD View Post
      There is no law that says they can not.

Comment

The "law" of supply and demand is not codified.
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Neither is "there is no law that says they can't". No laws stating we can't go to a competitor either. We thought about bringing a union in but the consensus is to just leave them high and dry all at once on a Friday.

Comment

Originally posted by thiscan'tberight View Post
            Neither is "there is no law that says they can't". No laws stating we can't go to a competitor either. We thought about bringing a union in but the consensus is to just leave them high and dry all at once on a Friday.
            Which means that the company can do what it wants.

Which means that you can quit over it if you want.

Which means don't expect a favorable reference when you're looking for another job. "John quit with no notice." Prospective employers don't like that.
            I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

I'll already be working for someone else the next business day after I quit as will the other 7 people leaving.

How they will service their customers is another story. Customers don't like it when no one shows up to service their equipment either. They tend to call another company that actually has employees because they can do what they want also.

Originally posted by Pattymd View Post
              Which means that the company can do what it wants.

Which means that you can quit over it if you want.

Which means don't expect a favorable reference when you're looking for another job. "John quit with no notice." Prospective employers don't like that.
              thiscan'tberight
              Last edited by thiscan'tberight; 05-20-2009, 04:43 PM.

Comment

Whatever..

Comment

I think you misunderstand how the law works. There does not have to be a law giving an employer permission to take an action. As long as there is not a law prohibiting the action, it is legal.

Since there is not law that says the employer cannot force you to take a company vehicle home, it is legal for them to do so.

Yes, it is legal for you to go to a competitor. However, given the job situation in Massachusetts and most other states just now, I strongly recommend that you make sure you already have another job before you quit this one because you will not be able to get unemployment if you quit over this issue.
                  The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                  Working...
                  X