X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hire For Work, Pay per day basis Tennessee

Hi,

I'm looking to expand my construction business into more parts of the city. However, with the economy the way it is and not alot of capital to jump into this (though I need it) Someone brought up a Hire For Work/Pay Per Day way of doing this.

As I know, this is legal and basically what they told me was, I would draw out a contract of what the job is, the duties of the person (worker) signing it, the risks and etc (injury waiver) and I would be free of having to handle that person's insurance, tax, and etc because they would have to handle that themselves.. Am I right?

I also know of someone who went out and worked for some painting company doing the same thing.

What are the procedures for this?

Paying per day is not illegal on its face.

However, treating workers as independent contractors (which is what you are proposing) who do not meet the criteria for IC status is illegal. Just because they may only work for you for a day or two does not mean they are not employees.

Start here:
    http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc762.html
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

thanks.. will look over those forms

Comment

Just thought of something else. If you're needing day labor, you may want to consider a staffing agency, such as Labor Ready, which will handle all the taxes, WC, etc. and the workers are their employees.
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
        Working...
        X