This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quitting due to foul play California

My employer has placed me in a few situations which I could not fully complete my job as a manager.

One of my employees were sexually harassed but my employer insisted that the perp stayed to finish work.

They want me to decrease any overtime regardless of the situation.

I was required to due full time hourly work as well as my own to cut hours.

My employer told my employees that they were fat and lazy.

The list goes on....

I know that I have good work ethics and I wish to work for people with the same. Due to the fact that I know too much, if I quit is there any compensation for me or should I suck it up?

I am not a Sr. member of the group - so my input is just FWIW

It does not appear as though laws were broken in your employment, but that you are being treated poorly (not illegally)

There is potential that the person who experienced harssment may have a case.

"Fat and Lazy" - while offensive, rude and unprofessional, doesnt really show a disparate treatment of a protected group

If you quit, you will not get unemployment benefits. I recommend you look for another job while you still have this one.

Good Luck!

Comment

Originally posted by howker View Post
      My employer has placed me in a few situations which I could not fully complete my job as a manager.

One of my employees were sexually harassed but my employer insisted that the perp stayed to finish work.
      As long as the employer made the behavior stop, they have lived up to their legal duty. If the behavior continues and the employer doesn't act, the employee would have a case.

They want me to decrease any overtime regardless of the situation.
      Many employers are doing that now due to the economy. They can make employees stop working regardless of how much work they have left to do. However, if an employee does work overtime, they are obligated to pay it (although they can also fire the employee for working unapproved OT).

I was required to due full time hourly work as well as my own to cut hours.
      Not really understanding what you're saying here... please clarify.

My employer told my employees that they were fat and lazy.
      There's only one (or a few) state where weight is protected, and I'm not positive which one it is. If CA isn't one of them, then there's nothing illegal about your employer being completely unprofessional in this way.

The list goes on....

I know that I have good work ethics and I wish to work for people with the same. Due to the fact that I know too much, if I quit is there any compensation for me or should I suck it up?
      If you quit, you will NOT receive unemployment. The only answer I'm not sure about is where you talk about doing hourly work plus your own. Please clarify.
      Last edited by JulieBean; 04-23-2009, 02:22 PM.

Comment

The only state in which weight is a protected characteristic is Michigan. (The District of Columbia protects personal appearance, which can include but is not limited to weight.)
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
        Working...
        X