X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gabbygirl
    replied
    I have a concern and correct me if I am wrong but how can the OP be commission only when only selling at a flea market. I though commission only is considered outside sales and that requires door to door, etc. Shouldn't OP have been MW?

Leave a comment:

• Pattymd
    replied
    For weekly pay, I get $39.38 for FIT and $10.97 for SIT for week 1.

For week 2, I get $90.93 and $23.24 respectively.

This is using the regular computer formula for withholding. You should be able to replicate these amounts at the site.

Having said that, though, since you no longer work there, I'm not sure what you will accomplish by addressing this.

Leave a comment:

• Pattymd
    replied
    Paid weekly? Let me see what I can come up with.

Leave a comment:

• essay
    replied
    oops!

Realized I left out --

I claim 1 on W4. (Noted on pay stub as S 01,01/01

There were no other deductions -- medical or otherwise.

Thank you!

Leave a comment:

• Pattymd
    replied
    Use "salary" and flag the amount as "per pay period".

Leave a comment:

• essay
    replied
    Thanks!

Thank you so much for your very prompt and information filled reply.

I went to the suggested site, and see only "salary" & "hourly" as options...neither of which apply. I will look a bit further once I post this.

As for my posistion, and why I am concerned about what was withheld, this is a new business, owned by two very inexperienced brothers who live in WV. My posistion, comission only, was selling "as seen on tv" items at an indoor flea market store. I ran the store 4 days a week, every day the flea market is open. I was the only employee. They have 3 locations. Two in OH and one in WV.

According to the brothers, this is an actual business, with an attorney and accountant advising them all the way. (Maybe that explains my suspicion!! Just kidding!!) This is the same accountant who suppossedly told them it was better for me if I made 9.5% instead of 10%...because I would be paying more at the higher percentage -- higher deductions.

As a postscript, I actually no longer work for them. Their inexperience led them to expect me to put myself at risk, (we're talking safety here),
    in a way I was not comfortable.

Still, if the withholding amounts would be incorrect, I'd like to be able to bring it to their attention sooner rather than later.

Thanks again, and a wonderful weekend to you.

Leave a comment:

• Pattymd
    replied
    Medicare and Social Security taxes are a percentage of taxable wages and those percentages are correct. However, neither federal or Ohio income tax withholding is a flat percentage. Without knowing what you claimed on your W-4 form, and whether or not you had any pre-tax deductions (such as 401K or medical insurance), we would have no way to tell whether the income tax withholding is correct or not.

Here's a site you can go to and pro-forma your pay checks.
    http://www.paycheckcity.com

Not your question, but what type of work do you do and for what type of business (not its name) do you do it? I'm wondering whether "commission only" is allowable, without regard to hours worked.
    Last edited by Pattymd; 04-22-2009, 03:45 PM.

Leave a comment:

• essay
    started a topic Are These Withholding Figures Correct? Ohio

Are These Withholding Figures Correct? Ohio

From my pay stubs is reported the following, with my approximate percentages:

1st pay --

Total wages $491.42

Taxes
    MCWH $ 7.13 (1.45%)
    SSWH 30.47 (6.2%)
    FITW 7.49 (1.525%)
    SITW 5.77 (1.175%)

2nd pay --

Total wages $807.60

MCWH $11.71 (1.45%)
    SSWH 50.07 (6.2%)
    FITW 52.47 (6.5%)
    SITW 15.24 (1.89%)

I was working in Ohio/Stark County, Hartville. My checks are made out by an accountant in the Weirton, WV area. I file 1 deduction total. I was making a commission with no hourly wage.

I just thought it a bit much of a difference, and would appreciate any info or assistance you could give.

Thanks in advance, and a wonderful weekend to all.
The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
Working...
X