Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

Should I sign this? Is it legal in California

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Should I sign this? Is it legal in California

    I am asked to sign an employee manual that has this under "termination of employment".

    "in the event of an employee wishes to terminate his or her employment, it is required that he/she give notice in writing of such intention at least two weeks prior to date of desired termination. Failure to do so will result in forfeiture of any terminal vacation pay & any pay following the last paycheck, which may have been accumulated."

    The section I put in bold concerns me. Is this legal? I've search the forum, but could not find an answer. Thank you in advance for your help.

  • #2
    Employees must be paid for all time worked and in California, vacation, once earned, cannot be forfeited.

    If you're required to sign it, sign it. It isn't enforceable anyway.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.


    • #3
      It sounded unenforceable, but I thought I'd check with you guys. Thank you for the quick response. I love forums!


      • #4
        Agree with Patty re California vacation. (vacation vested/earned must be pd. at termination unless a CBA provides otherwise)
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

        Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.


        The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.