Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

Written request to change a schedule

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Written request to change a schedule

    An employee provided 24 hours notified to his immediate supervisor that he needed to change his work schedule in order to attend a personal meeting held everyday over a period of several weeks.

    The employer is willing to accommodate the employee's request on the contigency that the employee provide a written notice from a doctor, lawyer, etc - supporting such a request.

    Is this legal?


  • #2
    Is what legal?

    The employer has no legal obligation to change the schedule, written request or not. If they want to make it contingent on proof of a professional appointment, yes, that is legal.

    If that is not what you mean, please clarify.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.


    • #3
      Would the reason possibly fall under FMLA or ADA? If so, the employer NEEDS to request the certification/documentation to backup such occurrences and to make sure that the employee is not retaliated against for using such time.

      If they don't fall under FMLA or ADA, it is up to the employer as to what to ask for. But yes, I would want some proof of need.


      • #4
        Written request to change a schedule

        Thank you everyone. The advice you provided is very helpful!



        The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.