This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can my employer take money out of my paycheck for this?? Georgia

Hey so I am a supervisor at my place of employment. My manager is trying to make it where no one is carrying their cellphones at work (stupid i know). And he told me that for every cellphone he finds on people, he would take out 1$ out of my paycheck. I was wondering if he could legally do this?
    THANKS!

No, he can't. But he can fire you for not managing your people well enough so that they obey the policy.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

okay .... but thats a REALLLY hard policy to enforce

Comment

Well, that's where being a good manager comes in. The employees do not have a right under the law to carry cell phones at work. If the boss says no cell phones at work, then it's no cell phones at work, whether you, or they, think it makes sense or not.

Good luck!
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

okay thanks for your feedback.
          how do u know its not legal?
          i would love some proof, so i can actually use it...thanks

Comment

It's legal to say no cell phones at work because there is no law that says it is illegal not to allow them at work. It is up to the employer.
            Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

okay i understand that my employer can force everyone to not have cell phones.

and according to the person above, he cant take money out of my paycheck b/c ppl have their cell phones....
              i just wanted to see some kind proof i can take to him if he does indeed follow up on his threat.

Comment

Since Georgia doesn't have any law prohibiting such a deduction, you'd have to look to federal law.

Generally speaking, the employer cannot deduct for anything that is for the employer's benefit.
                http://www.dol.gov/esa/whd/regs/compliance/whdfs16.pdf
                I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

PS -Oops, sorry, Patty. I got up to run a quick errand, came back to submit off my post & yours was there.
                  Last edited by Betty3; 04-16-2009, 12:34 AM. Reason: add PS
                  Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Originally posted by Betty3 View Post

PS -Oops, sorry, Patty. I got up to run a quick errand, came back to submit off my post & yours was there.

Hey, at least we got the same answer.

Now, go to bed, kiddo.
                    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Pattymd View Post
                      Now, go to bed, kiddo.
                      Shortly (or so...) Dogs are sleeping.

I note you're up.

Comment

Originally posted by Betty3 View Post
                        Shortly (or so...) Dogs are sleeping.

I note you're up.
                        Yeah, 4:30. *sigh*

Comment

I fell asleep at the computer. I just woke up, will delete some spam - then going to bed. Good night - good morning or whatever. 6:45 am cst
                          Last edited by Betty3; 04-16-2009, 03:46 AM.

Comment

Thank You Soooo Much Guys!!!!!
                            :]

Comment

One other thing I just thought of.

Are you exempt by any chance?

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                              Working...
                              X