This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• termination rights

The day after the company that I worked for was sold many of us were let go without notice. In a phone call we were all told that everyone would be receiving 1 months severance pay. A week and a half later I have received nothing while others have been paid in full. By paying my coworkers don't they establish policy that would require them to pay me as well? What are my options? I can't get anyone from the office to return my calls.
    Also, apparently any policy established by my original employer does not have to be followed by the new owner, is this correct? I am specifically thinking of vacation pay. What legal obligation does the new owner have to existing employees? In this situation there were no known policies for us to refer to.

No, the fact that others have received severance does not necessarily create a policy that the company must be followed. The company's legal obligation is to not pay out or not pay out severance on the basis of a protected characteristic (such as race, age, gender, etc.). It would not be illegal to give severance to senior executives but not to lower-level staff, for example.

Whether you are owed pay for unused vacation is dependant on state law, and you did not identify your state. If you let us know your state, someone will respond with that information.
    I am not able to respond to private messages. Thanks!

Comment

pennsylvania

Comment

Pennsylvania does not require employers to pay out unused vacation; it only requires employers to be consistent with whatever policy they adopt. If your employer had no policy for payout, you are likely out of luck. You can always consult your state department of labor for additional information.
        I am not able to respond to private messages. Thanks!

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
        Working...
        X