This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for Voluntary Work in Massachusetts

I have a question regarding voluntary work. I work in the cleaning industry so I'm out on the road all day. When our day ends and we get back to the shop, the company makes us punch out, but expects us to clean the trucks we used for the day with our own time. The other day I was written up for missing a spot on the wheel well of the truck. Now this is my first time being written up. I know they can use this later on for right to terminate my employment.

Here is my question. Since I am using my time to clean the truck, if I refuse to do this from now on without being paid can my employment be terminated with the company for this?

Audits are coming up for the company soon and I feel I was used as an example to show the higher ups that the branch manager is running a tight ship.
    Thanks in advance!

I'm assuming you're a non-exempt employee - seems so.

You have to be paid for all time/hours worked. However, you can be disciplined up to & including being terminated for not following an order. You need to do as told & then file a wage claim with the Attorney General's office.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Thank you very much.

Comment

You're welcome.
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
        Working...
        X